Take a look at the label of hair products. Do you see ingredients you have no idea what they are? Well, you are not the first one. And you won’t be the last one.
The reality is that there are many chemicals, toxins, and other harmful ingredients in the cosmetic products we use, be it hair products, or skin products.
People have turned to natural products in the past few years, and with a good reason.
Did you know you can use castor oil for hair growth? Or for conditioning? And you can even battle dandruff issues with castor oil.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at the benefits of castor oil, what is the best castor oil for hair use, and how to use it.
Top 10 castor oil products for hair ( 2019 Review )
1. Usda Organic Cold-Pressed Castor Oil
One of the best castor oil products you can find online.
And for a great price nevertheless.
Rich in vitamins and fatty acids, this is 100% organic and natural castor oil that promotes hair growth and can also nourish your skin.
Cold-pressed, it is suitable for all hair and skin types.
- Makes your hair thicker
- Organic and made with the highest quality standards
- Watery, not thick like other castor oil products
- Hard to wash off your hair
2. Now solutions Castor Oil 100% 16 oz
Made by a therapeutic brand, the castor oil is 100% pure and expeller-pressed from seeds. It is virtually odorless.
The main ingredient is ricinus communis seed oil. Applicable to other areas, not just the hair.
Considered one of the finest natural castor oil products on the market.
The fantasy emollient can be used for hair growth, but also for eyelashes growth.
- Softens the skin on the scalp
- Therapeutic brand
- A large bottle that lasts for a long time
- Densely thick
- Smells like cooking oil
3. Pure Castor Oil
Some companies go the extra mile to ensure quality. That is the case here, as preparation went further.
The oil is enriched with antibacterial and antifungal properties to ensure skin care, hair care, and body care. You can use it as the perfect castor oil for eyelashes growth.
In addition to treating your hair, the oil will also care for the scalp skin, and heal any wounds or acne problems.
Thanks to vitamin E and fatty acids in the formula, the oil provides even more support for hair growth.
- Delivers quick results
- Money back guarantee
- You can use even on nails due to Vitamin E
- Small bottle
- No clear instructions for usage
- Very thick and messy
4. Namskara Organic Castor Oil
One of the cheaper castor oil products on the market, still comes with pure quality.
Free from hexane and harmful chemicals, the oil will not jeopardize your health one bit.
Packed in a small bottle, the oil comes with two applicator brushes. This allows you to target specific areas like the lashes and brow lines.
Works as a conditioner, hair growth oil, and hot oil treatment. One downside is that the oil is very oily, and may take a while before you see any noticeable results.
- The bottle comes with applicator brushes
- Low price
- Very Oily
- Takes time for results
5. Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil
Regarded by many as the best Jamaican black castor oil, this one is showing up more and more often in hair care products. This product has higher alkalinity than pure and organic cold-pressed organic oil.
Rich in vitamin E and fatty acids, the Tropic Isle castor oil can help moisturize the skin, bring back dry hair to life, minimize shaft damage, minimize hair loss, and protect your hair from harsh chemicals.
The oil has delivered proven results for increasing hair growth and thickness and also works by preventing dandruff.
Comes packed in an 8-ounce plastic jar or glass bottle. You can also add it to a hair conditioner.
- Quick results
- Nourishes the scalp and promotes hair growth
- More alkaline than organic cold-pressed castor oil
- The smell is too strong
6. Wild Nest Organics USDA-Certified Organic Oil
We said previously that castor oil is a cheap product for skin and hair care. And then there are even cheaper products. If you are on a tight budget, saving a few bucks can make a difference. And this oil is one of the cheaper best castor oil products you will find.
Wild Nest Organics promotes and provides natural and organic grooming products. The castor oil is cold-pressed and can be used in a variety of ways. The consistency is thicker than other brands, but it is easy to apply. Best of all, it doesn’t feel greasy on your scalp or skin. The oil comes with an applicator kit, allowing you to apply one drop at a time.
Last, but not least, you get an eBook about the benefits of castor oil and everything about castor oil. Neat, right?
- Applicator kit, apply one drop at a time
- Free castor oil eBook
- Very low price
- The oil dries in the tube
- Difficult to use on lashes
7. Home Health Castor Oil, Cold Pressed and Processed
When you look at the price at first glance, you might think this is one of the more expensive castor oils on the market.
But check the amount you get. It is one of the largest bottles with 32oz of pure, natural emollient castor oil inside.
Perfect for softening and nourishing the skin, and massaging your hair for hair growth.
It is one of the best natural emollients on the market. So, hurry up, and get your bottle.
- Low price tag
- Versatile for multiple uses
- Large bottle
- Bottom of the bottle is made of PVC
8. Mary Tylor Naturals Cold-Pressed Organic Castor Oil
Keeps all of the nutrients intact for maximum benefits for your hair and skin. Ideal for those suffering from hair loss.
And you can also use it to make your lashes and eyebrows thicker.
Works on all skin types, and all hair types.
Free from chemicals and allergens, the castor oil helps to boost circulation, treat inflamed skin, and support overall well-being.
- Great for hair loss
- Free from chemicals and allergens
- Little known brand
- Too strong scent
9. Majestic Castor Oil
Majestic is a known brand when it comes to castor oil. The company also has a castor oil serum designed for eyelashes growth.
As a premium quality product, this is one of the more effective castor oil products.
There are no additives, unfiltered and undiluted with no fillers.
Most importantly, it is cruelty-free and not tested on animals. Use it only for external use.
- Generously sized
- Money back guarantee
- Oil is thicker
- Very heavy on the hair and skin
10. Kate Blanc Cosmetics Castor Oil
The product is one of the highest quality castor oil you will find on the market.
The downside is the price is the same as large bottle products, and you get only 2oz of castor oil.
Now, that might be enough for most people, but if you need to use it for hair growth, you need a lot more oil.
Packaged in amber glass, the bottle is protected from UV light. Also includes a glass dropper. There is no carrier oil added.
- Certified as organic by the USDA
- Packaged in an amber glass
- High price tag for a low amount
- Thick quality
Benefits of Castor Oil
Castor oil is an age-old beauty treatment. Nowadays, we might have a lot of fancy products that have replaced castor oil. But the trick is, they come with a high price tag, and they even contain castor oil.
Really, take a look at some of the hair products, and you will see they have castor oil in them. So, why do we use castor oil, and why do hair and beauty companies use it in their products?
Here are the benefits of castor oil:
- Because it contains ricinoleic acid, castor oil can vastly improve blood circulation to the scalp, resulting in more oxygen and nutrients, and faster hair growth
- Because of the increased circulation, castor oil can nourish the scalp and strengthen the roots of your hair
- Castor oil can penetrate deeper into the hair shafts, where it encourages hair regrowth
- Castor oil has antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties, protecting and reviving your damaged hair
- As an antibacterial oil, castor oil can help treat dandruff
- Castor oil reduces split ends by filling in the damaged caps of keratin
- Can work as a natural conditioner and restore hair cuticles
- Castor oil protects your hair from outside damage, be it environmental or sun
- Castor oil also provides omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids that penetrate deep into the roots of your hair
- You can use castor oil to achieve richer and darker tone of your hair in a natural way
Types of castor oil
While there are different types of castor oil, which one you choose, doesn’t matter much in the end. All of the castor oil for hair products help, and it is just a matter of preferences.
Here are the three types of castor oil.
- Organic, extracted directly from the seed. There is no heat involved in the process of making organic castor oil. With organic castor oil, you get all of the nutrients, and there is no degradation of nutrients. You will notice it by the pale yellow color
- In the process of making Jamaican black castor oil, the seeds are roasted and then pressed for oil. Ashes are added to the oil as well, and the oil gets a black color. Jamaican black castor oil can penetrate deeper into the hair
- Hydrogenated castor oil is made by hydrogenating pure castor oil. Odorless, insoluble in water, and brittle, this oil is made thanks to a catalyst. It is mainly used in cosmetics, and it is not nearly as potent as the first two options
How to use castor oil for hair growth?
There are a couple of questions people have when they want to know how to use the castor oil for hair. First off, how much do you need? Well, for most treatments for hair, you only need a few drops of castor oil.
The second question is, how often to use the treatment? Initially, you should start with three times per week, depending on the condition and severity of the problem. As you start noticing results, switch to once or twice per week.
Castor oil should always be applied to damp hair. Yes, damp, not wet hair. Use a spray bottle and spritz the roots before applying castor oil. Some people leave castor oil on their head for a couple of hours, while others do it overnight.
With that in mind, here is a quick breakdown how to use castor oil for hair.
- Spritz some water to the roots using a spray bottle
- Apply few drops of castor oil, and then gently massage it through the entire hair
- Wait for as long as you want. If you have more severe problem, leave castor oil overnight. Apply a shower cap if that is the case
- Wash the castor oil with a shampoo
- If you want to make a more potent serum, add jojoba oil or some essential oil for hair growth. Castor oil serves as a base, and you need a ratio of 3 drops of castor oil to 1 drop of essential oil.
You can use castor oil for:
- Hair growth
- Preventing dandruff and treating dandruff
- Rejuvenating damaged hair
- Prevent and stop hair loss
- To prevent split ends
- As a conditioner
How to wash off castor oil from hair?
Because castor oil can be sticky, some people find it hard to wash from their hair. If a mild shampoo doesn’t work, then do the following.
- Damp your hair with mildly warm water
- Take shampoo in your palms, add water, and then rub to form a rich lather
- Apply shampoo to hair and scalp. Massage gently with fingertips
- Leave the shampoo for one minute, and then wash off with normal water
- If there is excess castor oil on your hair, shampoo one more time