The usual steps in a morning skincare routine include a cleanser, toner, and moisturizer. But if you have sensitive skin, there is one more step you absolutely have to include.
And that is the best primer for acne prone skin, which is your first line of defense against acne, blemishes, and oily skin. Apply the primer before applying foundation, powders, or any makeup.
- 1 Top 10 primers for acne prone skin ( 2019 Review )
- 1.1 1. NYX Cosmetics Skin Elixir Balance Tea Tree Primer
- 1.2 2. Cover FX Mattifying Primer With Anti-Acne Treatment
- 1.3 3. MAKE UP FOR EVER Skin Equalizer Primer
- 1.4 4. BECCA Travel Size Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
- 1.5 5. The POREfessional Face Primer
- 1.6 6. Korres Wild Rose Smoothie Brightening Priming Moisturizer
- 1.7 7. bareMinerals Blemish Rescue Anti-Redness Mattifying Primer
- 1.8 8. Smashbox Photo Finish Super Light Primer
- 1.9 9. Coola Daydream Mineral Primer SPF 30
- 1.10 10. REN Clean Skincare Perfect Canvas Skin Finishing Serum
- 2 What is a primer?
- 3 Can primers cause breakouts?
- 4 What is acne prone skin?
- 5 How to deal with acne-prone skin?
- 6 Ingredients to look for in primer for acne prone skin?
Top 10 primers for acne prone skin ( 2019 Review )
1. NYX Cosmetics Skin Elixir Balance Tea Tree Primer
It is just amazing when you can find a good quality primer in regular drugstores.
The NUX cosmetics skin elixir primer is widely available in any Target store.
Why we love it? Simple, because it immediately stops any flare-ups on your face.
Thanks to tea tree oil, the primer will eliminate any bacteria on your face, and leave your face clean and smooth.
2. Cover FX Mattifying Primer With Anti-Acne Treatment
Formulated to fight acne, with ingredients like willow bark extract, salicylic acid, and more. If you have a skin of a teenage person and still have troubles with acne, the primer will come in handy. You can safely wear your makeup on top of it, knowing that your skin has a protective barrier that will get the job done.
Putting on this primer might feel a bit greasy, but that feeling goes away shortly. You can use it over any moisturizer and you won’t get any texture issues. This is not a fits-all product, and everyone’s skin is different. But it gets the job done in most cases, and even if you fall asleep with your makeup on, you won’t wake up with acne on your face.
3. MAKE UP FOR EVER Skin Equalizer Primer
This targeted face primer works with your skin to balance the texture and tone. The result is smoother and even makeup. Not to mention, your makeup will last for a longer period.
Designed to counteract skin concerns, it works on all skin tones. Ideal for balancing your skin. With a lightweight and creamy texture, this primer can work on all skin types, and easily smooth the look of your skin’s surface. There are 10 different and unique formulas that target different skin types and individual needs.
If your skin is sensitive, and you to take photos of you, the primer will make sure there is no redness or irritation on any of the photos.
4. BECCA Travel Size Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
What makes this primer good? Well, it is the size, as it can easily fit in your travel bag.
On the downside, it comes at such a low amount and at a high price tag. Which is why the low rating.
The product applies nicely and helps blur any imperfections on your skin. It will help you shine when wearing makeup.
You can use it under foundations to prime, or over foundations to set. You can also use it on the eyelids as a primer, or on your lips as a mattifier. Definitely a versatile product.
5. The POREfessional Face Primer
There is a reason why this primer is considered a cult favorite. It mattifies any oil from the skin. And thanks to vitamin E in the formula, the primer helps with inflammation, as well as provide an antibacterial barrier.
You can use this professional balm to minimize the appearance of pores, fine lines, and help makeup stay put.
Silky and lightweight formula is easy to wear under makeup, resulting in smoother canvas. Because the primer is translucent, no one will know you are wearing it.
6. Korres Wild Rose Smoothie Brightening Priming Moisturizer
This product is made of almost entirely natural ingredients. In fact, 96.9% of the ingredients are natural.
The potent blend contains wild rose oil, which has nine times more vitamin C than orange juice.
The primer also has hyaluronic acid and turmeric extract that will take care of any blemishes or breakouts on your face.
You can use it no normal, oily, combination, and sensitive skin. Lightweight and silicone-free, the primer can help with uneven skin tone, pores, and dryness of your face.
7. bareMinerals Blemish Rescue Anti-Redness Mattifying Primer
The product is non-drying, noncomedogenic, and dermatologist tested. Formulated to fit all skin types, this primer is calming.
It can help smooth your face, but also provide hydration and neutralize redness. The result is healthier-looking face.
With a lightweight gel-lotion formula, infused with chamomile and arnica, the primer will reduce any imperfections on your face.
The zinc, sulfur, and kaolin clay in the formula work to mattify the skin and purify pores.
8. Smashbox Photo Finish Super Light Primer
This primer is oil-free and made of 60% water-based formula.
The result is light in texture primer that is loaded with vitamins and antioxidants.
Applying will give your face anti-aging look. With oil absorbers in the formula, the primer will give your face a smooth matte finish.
Smashbox’s primer is also infused with light diffusers that blur any imperfections.
9. Coola Daydream Mineral Primer SPF 30
This primer is perfect for daytime makeup, as it contains SPF in the formula. If you have troubled skin that needs sun protection, this silky-smooth primer will do the trick.
Your face will get a matte finish like never before. The formula is also enriched with antioxidants that provide some anti-aging properties to your skin.
You can use on all skin types, including oily and sensitive. The mineral primer blurs the look of pores, resulting in a flawless makeup application. Use for fine lines and wrinkles, sun protection, and uneven skin tone.
10. REN Clean Skincare Perfect Canvas Skin Finishing Serum
Thanks to the hyaluronic acid, this primer will provide excellent hydration to your skin. And you can use it on all skin types.
The primer is silicone-free, and can be used as a solution for dryness, redness, fine lines, and wrinkles.
The serum to primer formula will smooth out and visibly lift, as well as reduce pore on your skin.
As a result, you get a flawless face.
What is a primer?
This is a question many women ask. They want to know what do they apply to their face. Primers are used to cover blemishes and prepare your skin for what follows next.
As the first layer of a beauty regimen, you should always consider a primer with acne-fighting properties and ingredients.
Primer serves to reduce the number of acne bumps and blemishes, but also alleviate redness and inflammation.
This will prepare your skin, and avoid clogging of pores caused by makeup. Primers also help reduce irritation, soothe the skin, and more.
Can primers cause breakouts?
Among the other popular questions regarding primers, this one deserves attention. Yes, primers can cause breakouts and clog your pores.
But it is important to understand how. Some beauty experts describe primers as “a necessary evil in the standard beauty routine”. Primers lock in your base, help with oil control, and provide a smooth finish.
However, in some cases, primers can clog your pores and cause breakouts. This applies even more if you have sensitive and acne-prone skin. This is why we recommend finding the best primer for acne prone skin.
You need a primer that has acne-fighting ingredients and other optimal for prevention ingredients.
Primers are a thin moisturizing serum. The ingredients inside act as a sponge and pull moisture into the skin and hold it.
What is acne prone skin?
What constitutes an acne prone skin? Try to answer this question. Do you wash your face on a regular basis, follow a healthy diet, but still get massive breakouts and blemishes?
Well, it might be that your skin is acne-prone, and your skin care routine is wrong.
We all have the same acne-causing triggers, which are oily skin, hormone fluctuations, and more.
However, some of us are more susceptible to getting breakouts because of the large pores and overactive oil glands.
Scientists believe acne-prone skin is genetic, and it is not your fault. However, there are some changes you can make to prevent regular and massive breakouts.
Acne-prone skin refers to skin that is more susceptible to breakouts and blemishes. It is disappointing that we know little about why your skin might be more prone to acne, but that is the case.
With that in mind, what you can do is find a few effective ways to control your acne.
How to deal with acne-prone skin?
This might be the most frustrating and challenging beauty task. Simply put, you look around, and you see people not paying much attention having smooth and clear skin. On the other hand, you go above and beyond to try and get clear skin, and the results are not the same.
With that in mind, here are some things you should strive to achieve.
- Find the regular skin care routine, and it doesn’t have to be a complicated one. Facial cleanser, exfoliating scrub, morning moisturizer, and bedtime moisturizers are essential
- Exfoliate two times per week, as it is key to removing dead skin cells and other debris that can clog your pores. Sadly, your skin is more prone to pore clogging, and you have to prevent it. Just be careful not to overdo it, and do not scrub too much. That can dry your skin out, and cause other problems
- The most important step is choosing the right acne products
- Consume anti-inflammatory foods, as inflammation can cause breakouts. And we know some foods are high-inflammatory foods
Ingredients to look for in primer for acne prone skin?
Now that we shift the focus to the primer for acne prone skin, what are the ingredients to look for? We mentioned previously that you want primers that contain acne-fighting and soothing ingredients.
Here are all of the ingredients that have proven themselves against acne.
- Salicylic acid is the most popular acne-fighting ingredient. It can help by dissolving the type of skin debris that clogs your pores and causes acne. Blackheads and whiteheads can easily be treated with salicylic acid. In the same time, the acid can also dissolve the keratin plugs and regulate skin cells
- Benzoyl peroxide is another common ingredient for fighting off acne. Used to treat mild and moderate acne, benzoyl peroxide can be combined with other acne treatments. Works by reducing the amount of acne-causing bacteria and causing the skin to dry
- Resorcinol disinfects the skin and helps fight off infection. Applied topically to treat acne, eczema, psoriasis, calluses, warts, and many other skin disorders