- 1 What do you need to know before using shampoo for scalp acne?
- 2 Top 5 shampoos for scalp acne
- 2.1 1. Neutrogena T/Sal Therapeutic Shampoo, Scalp Build-Up Control
- 2.2 2. Pure Tea Tree Oil Shampoo - Natural Essential Oil Anti-Dandruff Shampoo For Dry Itchy & Flaky Scalp
- 2.3 3. Keeva Organics Sulfate Free Shampoo with Tea Tree, Argon Oil, Coconut Oil
- 2.4 4. Healthy hair plus Antifungal Shampoo and Conditioner Combo
- 2.5 5. Christina Moss Naturals Organic Shampoo
- 3 Causes of scalp acne
- 4 Symptoms of scalp acne
- 5 Can you get scalp acne?
- 6 What makes the best shampoo for scalp acne?
- 7 Tips for prevention
Keeva is a relatively new brand in the business. However, thanks to their quality products, the company is progressing rather well.
Their flagship products are designed toward anti-acne solutions. This 3 in 1 shampoo is formulated with the purest and most potent organic ingredients you can find. Good for solving acne problems and psoriasis.
The shampoo works by hydrating and restoring the moisture levels of your hair, and then nourishing and revitalizing your scalp thanks to argan and coconut oil. Gives you an all-natural powerful boost to your hair.
4. Healthy hair plus Antifungal Shampoo and Conditioner Combo
When you use a medicinal shampoo for acne, usually, they can be drying.
That is why this 2 in 1 shampoo is so valuable.
The conditioner combo makes sure there is no dryness on your scalp, which is actually a preventive measure for acne.
An antifungal shampoo, it helps treat acne from all angles, including itching, redness, and inflammation.
What is unique about this shampoo is the addition of emu oil. It is an antifungal ingredient, but it is not that commonly used.
Emu oil is often used in products for dry skin, and in this shampoo, it helps for calming soreness.
The best part is, this shampoo absorbs deep into the scalp and stops the acne problem at the root.
5. Christina Moss Naturals Organic Shampoo
The all-natural solution will make your hair look healthy and beautiful.
Best part: it is safe for all hair types. It improves the condition of your hair with proven results.
Marketed as vegan and cruelty-free, this shampoo was not tested on animals.
Does the job by gently and thoroughly washing your hair without stripping any oils, and without drying. In the same time, the shampoo nourishes your hair with helpful ingredients.
Because there are no harmful chemicals, you can use on sensitive skin or scalp.
Scalp acne are the same as other pimples anywhere on the body. The symptoms are same as well. In addition to the common symptoms of acne, there are a few that set them apart:
- Scalp acne starts at the center of your scalp
- Scalp acne can cause skin flakes that look similar to dandruff
- Whiteheads are more common with scalp acne
- If you do not treat the acne problem, it can turn to folliculitis and cause bald patches
The easy answer to who can get scalp acne is anyone. As with all acne problems, nobody is spared. However, there are certain risk factors that make some people more prone to scalp acne than others.
For example, if you suffer from dandruff, you are more likely to get scalp acne as well. The reasoning is dandruff is a problem with the skin on your scalp, and once your skin gets inflamed, acne can follow.
Therefore, if you have a dandruff issue, it is highly recommendable that you take care of the problem to avoid scalp acne.
Some shampoos are specially formulated for scalp acne. Getting a shampoo with a formula for scalp acne is the easiest way to get rid of scalp acne.
What does it mean for a shampoo to have a scalp acne formula? Well, the most important thing is to look for active ingredients in the shampoo that help you with the acne problem. Here is a list of some of the ingredients to look for:
- Salicylic acid is the most famous acne ingredient, as it can help remove dead skin cells, and open up your pores. This makes the pores harder to clog, which means less likely to get acne
- Tea tree oil is a natural alternative to salicylic acid. Thanks to its antibacterial and antifungal properties, tea tree oil can eliminate and prevent acne
- Glycolic acid is another acid that helps exfoliate the scalp, removing all of the bacteria, excess sebum, dirt, and dead skin cells in the process
- Aloe vera helps calm and soothe the scalp and irritated skin. Aloe vera also contains antibacterial properties that can prevent acne in the first place
- Benzoyl peroxide helps eliminate the Propionibacterium acnes, a known bacteria that causes severe scalp acne problems
- Zinc, a proven acne treatment, zinc helps regulate oil production in your skin, controlling clogged pores
- Ketoconazole is an antifungal agent that can improve the condition of your skin
- Jojoba oil is anti-inflammatory, which is useful in reducing redness and calming down the irritated skin on the scalp
Tips for prevention
Scalp hygiene is the most important factor in making sure you do not experience scalp acne.
If your hygiene is solid and consistent, your chances of avoiding clogged pores are higher. A good rule of thumb is to wash your hair when it feels oily and after a workout.
Here are some bonus tips that can help you prevent and avoid scalp acne:
- Wear loose-fitting headgear
- Wash your hair soon after a workout
- Switch to natural and hypoallergenic hair care products
- Avoid using hairsprays and gels frequently
- Get enough vitamin A, D, E and in your diet