The summer is almost here. And with that in mind, it is time to show off some of your bare skin. Women have so many ways to show off their lovely and smooth skin. Wearing a sleeveless dress will undress your underarm area. You can show off your back, shoulders, and more. And the shorter the dress, the more of your legs you show.
But showing bare skin comes with its own set of risks. As in, your skin might not be even tone. The underarm area is one of the more problematic. And the mere sight of your unflattering armpits might be enough to stop you from wearing your favorite dress. If that is the case, you should be looking for some ways to lighten your skin.
Today, we will talk about one of the more popular ways to whiten skin, and that is baking soda. In addition to natural remedies, there are also cosmetic remedies, like using underarm whitening creams, laser therapy, moisturizing creams, and applying topical creams.
- 1 Why do you have dark underarms?
- 2 How does baking soda help?
- 3 Risks of using baking soda
- 4 How to use baking soda?
Why do you have dark underarms?
Dark areas of skin occur when pigment cells in the skin multiply faster than usual. This can happen due to multiple reasons, some of them being medical, and other lifestyle habits.
For example, repeated hair removal treatments can often result in dark skin under your arms. Regular shaving will cause excessive production of pigment cells, resulting in a darker color in your underarm area.
In addition, medical causes like insulin resistance, obesity, hormonal disorders, taking certain medications, and more will also result in darker skin. Last, but not least, genetics play a role, as having a close family member with darker skin will result in you having it as well.
With that in mind, you can eliminate one of the problems by avoiding shaving or plucking the underarm area too often.
How does baking soda help?
Let’s start by saying there is no scientific proof that baking soda can brighten, whiten, or lighten your underarms. However, there is a logic behind the claim. Baking soda is an alkaline substance. As such, it does not disturb the pH value of your skin.
What baking soda does is soothe your skin. Baking soda is also an exfoliant, used to remove dead skin cells from the surface. And that is where there the brightening happens. How to use baking soda? We have 10 natural recipes for you to try.
Risks of using baking soda
Every remedy has its own positives and negatives. We talked about the positives of using baking soda for whitening the skin. But there are also downsides. You have to remember that baking soda is abrasive.
Constant, continuous, and repetitive overuse of baking soda on your skin can lead to dryness, skin irritation, and rashes.
Be careful if you have sensitive skin. You should avoid using baking soda. And just to be sure, make sure to perform a patch test with all of these 10 baking soda remedies for whitening the skin.
How to use baking soda?
Simple baking soda scrub
This is the simplest and easiest way to use baking soda to lighten your skin. All you need is baking soda and water. Mix the two ingredients in 2:1 ratio, with baking soda being the dominant ingredient. If the consistency is too runny, adjust the quantity of water.
Apply the mixture to your armpits area, and massage it in for one to two minutes. Leave it to stay there for 30 minutes, and then rinse off. Repeat two to three times per week.
Baking soda and avocado
This remedy not only helps you lighten the skin, but also keeps your skin hydrated and nourished. Avocado is a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. As such, it helps provide your skin with everything it needs to be healthy.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of mashed avocado, and ½ tablespoon of lemon juice. Dilute it with water, and then mix until you get the desired consistency. It should not be too thick. If the consistency is too thick, add some water
- Now that you have a fine paste, gently apply it on your armpits
- Massage and then leave for 20 minutes
- Rinse off with lukewarm water. Repeat two times per week
Baking soda and apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another known ingredient that helps soothe and cleanse your skin. Unlike baking soda, apple cider vinegar is acidic, giving you a perfectly balanced solution.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda and enough apple cider vinegar to get a thick paste
- Cover your armpits with the solution. Leave it to dry for 15 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly with cold water. Repeat 3 times per week for maximum results
Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide has also been used for skin whitening. You can use it to lighten age spots, acne scars, blemishes, and other skin conditions. Combined with baking soda, you get a more potent solution for your dark skin problem.
- Mix ¼ cup of baking soda and 1/3 cup of hydrogen peroxide. Add the juice of half a lemon, and some water to dilute the lemon juice
- Spread the thick paste over your underarms. Let it dry naturally for 15 minutes
- With a wet washcloth, wipe the area clean, and then wash it with water
- Repeat two or three times per week
Baking soda and cornstarch
These two ingredients can help you create your DIY exfoliating agent. Both ingredients help get rid of dead skin cells on the surface of the skin.
- For this remedy, mix 1 tablespoon of each baking soda and cornstarch. Then, add 1 teaspoon of cucumber juice, and adjust the quantity if needed in order to get a thick paste
- Apply the mixture to the armpits, and then let it dry naturally
- Once the skin is dry, wash off with cold water. Repeat two times per week
Baking soda and milk scrub
If you want a more smoothening paste solution than the simple baking soda scrub, use milk instead of water. It is that simple. Milk can soften and soothe the skin, and also nourish it with some minerals.
- For this remedy, you need 1 tablespoon of baking soda, and enough milk to create a thick paste
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl, and then apply to the armpits area
- Scrub gently for one minute, and then allow the solution to dry naturally
- Rinse with lukewarm water after 15 minutes. Repeat two or three times per week
Baking soda and lemon juice
Lemon juice is one of the best natural agents for skin lightening and skin whitening. You can use it on its own, but also in combination with baking soda. When you add baking soda, you also exfoliate your skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda, and juice of half a lemon. Add some water to dilute the lemon juice
- Apply the paste to the armpit area, and then massage for one minute
- Let the solution dry for 20 minutes, and then rinse with cold water
- Repeat three times per week
Baking soda and coconut oil
We mentioned that one of the ways to lighten skin is to moisturize it. Coconut oil is one of the best natural moisturizers. Applying coconut oil will lock in moisture, and make your skin soft, clean, and radiant.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with enough coconut oil to make a thick paste
- Apply the mixture to the armpits area. Massage in a circular motion
- Leave the mixture for 15 minutes, or until it dries out completely. Do not wash off. Repeat two times per week
Baking soda and honey
Honey is one of the best things you can apply to your skin. Honey helps moisturize your skin, but also protect it from microbes. For this remedy, you will need 1 tablespoon of each baking soda and honey.
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl. If the consistency is too thick, add a few drops of rose water
- Massage the mixture for one minute over your armpits
- Leave the solution to dry for 20 minutes, and then rinse with lukewarm water. Repeat two times per week