In the past few years, we have been searching for the best do-it-yourself face masks on the market. There are a lot of healthy ingredients you can use as a facial mask.
You take common household foods, add some healthy ingredient, and you get a beautiful and very beneficial skin treatment. Today, we will talk about gelatin face masks, and why are they becoming more and more popular.
- 1 Why Try Gelatin Face Masks?
- 2 How does the mask work?
- 3 What do you need to know beforehand?
- 4 How to make gelatin face masks at home
Why Try Gelatin Face Masks?
When you think about gelatin, you are probably wondering, why you should use it on my face. After all, it is just a simple thing adding color and flavor to the jelly and jiggly treat we loved as kids.
What makes it useful as a skincare product? And what are the benefits?
Well, for starters, gelatin adds new collagen to your skin and promotes the growth of the collagen that is already there. So, in a way, gelatin can be used as an anti-aging treatment.
Gelatin consists of dried animal collagen, and that is why it is extremely beneficial for your skin. And when used as a face mask, gelatin helps bind all of the other ingredients. With that in mind, gelatin has many other benefits for your skin.
Here are some of the main benefits.
- Your skin will remain youthful and glowing thanks to the collagen boost
- Makes the skin softer and smoother
- Gelatin face masks help cleanse your skin from the inside out
- A mask made with gelatin will help you remove blackheads
- Some people report gelatin mask helps them tighten the skin
- If you have dry skin, gelatin will help you heal it and treat it
How does the mask work?
Gelatin face masks work in the same way as peel-off face masks. Basically, you put certain things into the skin and take other things out.
Because gelatin is highly nutritious and provides collagen, you get collagen into the skin and draw impurities out. In the same time, the mask infuses your skin with moisture and other minerals and vitamins.
Gelatin easily binds to the dirt, excess oil, dead skin cells, toxins, and other impurities on the surface of your skin. When you peel off the dry mask, all of these impurities are taken away.
The exfoliating process will reveal a new, soft, and smoother skin underneath the surface.
What do you need to know beforehand?
Before you try any of the gelatin face masks we will recommend, you have to know a couple of things. For starters, peeling off the mask can hurt.
The pain that comes with the treatment is well worth it. If you struggle with the pain of peeling off the gelatin face mask, you might want to try a different skin care treatment.
In addition, because it is basically a peel-off and exfoliating mask, the gelatin treatment can remove the small surface of your skin.
The process can sometimes result in red patches. This discoloration is only temporary, but we have to warn you. That is why we recommend doing the masks at night so that discoloration fades away by the time morning hits.
We also suggest you do not use colored and flavored gelatin. Additives present in flavored or colored gelatin can stain your skin and it might take several days to remove the coloration.
Use uncolored, unflavored gelatin, and you will be fine.
How to make gelatin face masks at home
Milk and gelatin
This is one of the most common masks involving gelatin. Milk helps in removing blackheads of the skin, and you will notice a lot of dirt coming out once you remove the mask.
Here is how to prepare it.
- Take 1 teaspoon of gelatin powder, and put it in a microwave-safe bowl. Add one and a half teaspoon of milk
- Put the mixture in the microwave for 10 seconds
- Apply on your face, wait for 30 minutes, and then peel it off
Yogurt and gelatin
Yogurt on its own is a common skin care treatment. It helps with most skin problems, including removing dirt and making your skin active. This mask is ideal for oily skin, as it makes your skin glow and appear smoother.
- Mix one teaspoon of gelatin and one teaspoon of yogurt in a bowl
- After mixing those two ingredients, add a teaspoon of flour. Continue mixing until you have a smooth paste
- Apply on your face, and wait for 20 minutes or until it is completely dry. Peel it off and rinse face afterward
Honey and gelatin
Honey is one of the best natural moisturizers. Combine with gelatin, and you can cleanse your skin, make it softer, and add much-needed hydration. This mask is highly recommended for people living in areas with high air pollution.
- Take one teaspoon of gelatin and pour warm water over it
- Mix the solution, and once you have a liquid state, add a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of olive oil
- Apply the mask while it is still hot on your face. Let it remain there until it gets dry. Peel off and rinse afterward. You can repeat the process two times per week
Lemon and gelatin
Lemon helps with bleaching of the skin, ensuring even tone of your skin. In the same time, it provides some much-needed vitamin C and hydration.
This mask will strengthen your skin, add a youthful glow, and clean any impurities. Those with sensitive skin should avoid the mask, as it is slightly acidic.
- Add a teaspoon of gelatin and a teaspoon of lemon in a bowl. Mix them well, and then add some water to dilute the solution
- Apply on your face. Leave it to stay for 20 to 25 minutes, and then peel off
- You can repeat the treatment two times per week
Water and gelatin
In some minor cases, all you need is water. This mask works best for people with dry skin, as it gives you moisture and nourishment.
- Put a teaspoon of gelatin in a bowl. Pour water, and wait until it gets thickened
- Make it liquid by placing it in a hot water bath
- Add a teaspoon of butter, and mix well
- Apply on your face, leave it for 30 minutes, and then peel-off
Egg white and gelatin
Egg whites are highly nutritious. Rich in vitamins and minerals, this mask will help you clean your skin, but also provide nourishment.
Here is how to make it.
- Take one teaspoon of gelatin and cook it for a few seconds
- In another bowl, beat one egg white
- Once you notice a small layer of foam in the egg white bowl, pour steam liquid gelatin. Do not beat the mixture
- Apply the mask in layers on your face. Let it dry for 20 minutes, and then peel it off. Repeat two times per week for maximum results
Baking soda and gelatin
Baking soda is one of the simplest ingredients you can find in your kitchen for skin care. In the same time, it is one of the most beneficial ones as well.
Baking soda is another great exfoliating agent that helps you get rid of blackheads. Cleansing your skin has never been easier.
- Take two teaspoons of gelatin and mix with 3 teaspoons of baking soda
- Add a teaspoon of a lemon, mix, and then add in the microwave for 5 to 10 seconds
- Apply the mask on your face, but make sure it is not too hot
- Wait for the mask to dry off completely, and then peel it off