When it comes to honey, we all know it is one of the best natural sweeteners as an alternative to sugar. But did you know that sticky and sweet substance can also help for your hair? Or your skin? And your overall health as well?
Honey is a godsend ingredient, and it can help your hair in a number of ways. Today, we will talk about how to use honey for hair, and what are the benefits.
Benefits of honey for hair
As an emollient, honey is one of the best ingredients for hair growth, hair care, and conditioning of your hair. A lot of people are wondering how honey for hair works, and how the sweet ingredient helps your hair.
Well, here are the answers.
- Honey nourishes your hair with vitamins and minerals, providing your hair strands with essential nutrients they need to thrive
- Honey is a humectant and emollient, which means it can attract moisture from the air, and seal the moisture in your hair. This keeps your hair conditioned, reducing breakage and dryness of hair. In the same time, moisture supports faster hair growth
- Speaking of hair growth, honey encourages faster and healthier hair growth by providing antioxidants to your hair and protects the strands from environmental damage
- Honey can strengthen the hair follicles, resulting in less hair loss
- Honey also provides your hair with antibacterial and antiseptic properties that can prevent infections, as well as soothe conditions like dandruff, psoriasis, and eczema
- You can use honey to clean your hair follicles, get rid of impurities and minimize clogging
- Honey is a great no-poo alternative or shampoo additive. Simply mix one tablespoon of raw honey and half a cup of water, and apply to your hair like a regular shampoo
- Last, but not least, you can use honey for no-dye highlights. Mix three tablespoons of honey and two tablespoons of water, and then add the mixture to damp hair. Allow it to sit for one hour, and then rinse it. Repeat once per week until you get visible results
Best honey masks for hair
Honey and olive oil
Let’s start with a simple mask that works wonders for your hair. Olive oil is one of the best natural conditioners. Honey, at the same time, helps boost hair growth by providing nourishment to your hair.
Here is how to make this mask.
- Blend ¼ cup of olive oil, ½ cup of honey together
- Add the ingredients to a microwave, and heat for 30 seconds to melt the ingredients
- Let the mixture cool down, and then add ¼ cup of buttermilk. You can skip this step if you do not have buttermilk
- Apply the mask to your hair, and leave it for 30 minutes. Wrap your hair with a plastic cap to prevent dripping
- Rinse with cool water and apply shampoo afterward
Banana and honey
If you want a huge boost of nourishment, including vitamins and minerals for your hair, get some bananas. They pair wonderfully with honey. It might be a problem to wash the banana as it can get stuck to the hair. But with some thoroughly shampooing, you can prevent that.
- Blend two ripe bananas, and then add half a cup of honey and ¼ cup of olive oil to the mixture. If you want a smoother paste, add more olive oil. Continue blending for several seconds
- Apply the paste on your hair, and leave it to stay for 20 minutes
- Rinse with cool water, and comb through the hair to get rid of the banana chunks. Rinse again. Repeat once per week
Honey and yogurt
If you need shine and moisture, go for yogurt mask. You can also use this mask to prevent and treat dandruff issues.
- Blend 1/2 cup of honey and 1 cup of sour yogurt
- Once you have a smooth mixture, apply it to your hair, going from the roots to the tips
- Put a shower cap on, and leave the mixture for 15 minutes
- Rinse and then shampoo your hair. Repeat once per week
Eggs and honey
When your hair is weak, falling, and breaking, you need more protein. Eggs provide that extra protein that will further strengthen your hair strands. This mask also stimulates hair growth.
- Beat two eggs, and then add half a cup of honey to the mixture
- Mix until you get a consistent paste, and apply to the hair
- Cover your head with a shower cap, and leave the mixture for 20 minutes
- Rinse with cool water, and then apply shampoo and rinse again. Repeat once per week
Coconut oil and honey
There are different honey for hair masks you can use for conditioning and moisture. Coconut oil is a great ingredient to pair with honey for some extra moisture.
- Blend half a cup of coconut oil and half a cup of honey. If you have longer hair, use a full cup of both ingredients
- Massage the mixture into your hair thoroughly. Leave it to stay for 15 minutes
- Rinse the mask with lukewarm water, apply shampoo, and rinse again
Aloe vera and honey
Most people know aloe vera as the best ingredient for skin care. Aloe vera is soothing and calming, and can help with any skin irritation. The same properties apply for your hair as well. In many cases, hair fall is a result of dandruff, or other scalp irritation. Aloe vera helps with that.
- In a bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of honey, 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and 2 tablespoons of yogurt
- Once you have a smooth paste, apply to the hair and scalp
- Leave the mask for 20 minutes, and then rinse with lukewarm water
- Apply shampoo and rinse. Repeat once per week
Apple cider vinegar and honey
This honey for hair mask can help condition your hair, but also improve hair shine and hair strength. Apple cider vinegar contains just the right enzymes your hair needs. Be careful of the acidity of ACV, and do not use the mask too often. Once per week is more than enough.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 3 tablespoons of honey, and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- Apply the mask to your hair and scalp, and then leave it for 15 minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water, and then wash with shampoo thoroughly to remove smell of ACV
Castor oil and honey
Castor oil is known for its hair growth properties. After all, castor oil is one of the most well-known remedies for hair growth. Combine it with honey, and you have even more potent solution.
- Mix two tablespoons of castor oil, 1 tablespoon of honey, and one whole egg in a bowl
- Once you have a smooth paste, apply to your hair
- Leave the mask for one hour
- Rinse with lukewarm water
Yes, you can prepare your very own shampoo with honey. As an effective cleanser, you can combine honey with your regular shampoo to create a potent treatment you can use more often.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of shampoo in a jug. Add some water to dilute the solution
- Rinse your hair with water, and then apply the honey shampoo
- Massage the shampoo into your hair to wash it. Rinse with lukewarm water
- Repeat two times per week