You put your skin through a lot. Using harsh beauty products, tanning, even indulging in a diet full of fatty food can leave its mark on your skin, not to mention the stress of working—or partying—a little too hard. A number of factors can leave your skin blotchy, irritated, oily, or clogged with toxins.
Aside from the top techniques for fighting wrinkles and other signs of skin aging, a proper detox can help keep your skin healthy and looking young. Engaging in a full skin detox can you get back that happy glow. Here are a few detoxification tips to improve your skin’s health:
1. Reduce Inflammation
While a good skincare routine can go a long way in achieving that glow you’ve always desired, preexisting skin conditions can be a major obstacle. Consult a dermatologist if you’re suffering from a skin condition so that they may be able to suggest the right course of action to get healthier looking skin.
Similarly, if you suffer from a major autoimmune condition, it’s possible that the inflammatory side effects that come with it are causing you pain and contributing to poor skin health. Having said that, consult an expert pain doctor to find ways to manage your pain and limit pesky blotches and inflammation.
2. Take Supplements And Hydrate!
Unhealthy skin has a lot to do with what you put—or don’t—into your body. Vitamins D, C, E, and K all keep your skin looking its best, and antioxidants and retinoids can also help capture that youthful glow. An option such as Metagenics detoxification supplements will give you all the vitamins you need to keep your skin positively glowing.
A moisturizer or serum is an integral part of any skincare routine and will help protect your skin from wear and tear and dryness. But, your body needs to be properly hydrated to keep your skin healthy and smooth. This means drinking plenty of water and avoiding dehydrating sugary, alcoholic, or caffeinated drinks. That means coffee, too! If you need that morning caffeine fix, try swapping in hydrating, antioxidant green tea for a healthy pick-me-up. The right amount of hydration will help your body flush out toxins on its own.
3. Eat Right
Certain foods are the key to a skin-healthy diet. Your skin needs plenty of healthy fats and alkaline-rich fruits and veggies to look its best. Feast on walnuts or avocados for those healthy fats. Bananas, pears, and broccoli are just a few of the fruits and veggies that will provide alkaline minerals, like potassium, magnesium, and calcium. These minerals are key to the health of your bones, hair, teeth, and skin, of course! At the same time, you should avoid dairy, fatty fried foods, as well as sugary ones, as these can cause inflammation or pore-clogging oil production.
4. Do A Regular Deep Cleanse
The skin is your largest organ, and it’s your body’s first line of defense against foreign bodies and toxins. Unfortunately, people don’t always treat it well. Heavy makeup and clogged pores can cause allergic reactions or oily skin.
In addition to your daily skincare routine, you can do a deep detoxifying cleanse once a week to keep your skin healthy. Here are some great detox skin care techniques:
- Dry Brushing – Using a stiff brush on your skin before showering will brush off dirt and dead skin cells, encouraging cell renewal. Brushing in circular motions toward the heart will also stimulate circulation and improve functioning of the lymphatic system.
- Face Masks – Masks made of clay or mud are the best at pulling toxins out of your skin. Apply a mask once or twice a week and remove it before it’s fully dry.
- Detoxifying Scrubs – Choose a cleanser that fits your skin type and which doesn’t contain any possible irritants. If you have particularly sensitive skin, choosing a gentle, chemically exfoliating cleanser is a good alternative to dry brushing or other physical exfoliants that may irritate your skin.
- Steam – If you’ve ever been to a sauna or Turkish bath, you know that beautiful glow you get afterwards. Part of this comes from the benefits of steaming your skin. At home, you can replicate this treatment by pouring hot water into a large bowl and placing your face over to enjoy the full power of steam. Feel free to add gentle, cleansing herbs to the mix, too!
Your skin does so much for you, and it’s about time to treat it well. The right skincare routine can minimize toxins, reduce signs of aging, and keep your skin smooth, soft, and glowing. With these simple detox techniques, you can really start to love the skin you’re in!