Some people have darker lips naturally, and some people develop them over time. For example, if you have a habit of smoking cigarettes, it is only logical and natural that you will have dark lips.
It is all thanks to your nasty habit. Smoking is a way to reduce stress for some people, but it comes with a price. And dark lips is just one of the prices you pay, along with the many health risks.
So, with that in mind, let’s talk about how to reverse the process, or how to lighten dark lips.
There are many ways which you can use to turn your lips back to their usual pink shade. We want to show you all of the natural ones.
Causes of dark lips
Before we get to the section how to lighten lips (how to get rid of dark lips) naturally, let’s talk about what is causing them. Smoking is just one of the factors and causes.
There are others. Dark lips are usually a result of hyperpigmentation, which is a harmless condition caused by an excess of melanin.
In terms of lip hyperpigmentation, the causes can be:
- Lack of hydration
- Excessive exposure to the sun
- Too much caffeine
- Cigarette smoking
- Lip sucking
- Allergic reaction to lipstick
- Allergic reaction to toothpaste
As you can see, most of them are lifestyle habits, and you can do certain lifestyle changes to sort them. However, there are also causes for dark lips that are more serious. For example, anemia, chemotherapy, and excessive fluoride use.
With that in mind, let’s talk about what you can do to reverse the process.
How to get rid of dark lips cosmetically
Many people choose to treat hyperpigmentation with a cosmetic decision. They want to take the easy way out. And we have nothing against that. But it costs a lot of money.
Laser treatment is one of the ways to treat hyperpigmentation. Another is therapy with hydroquinone and kojic acid. Instead, we want to focus on natural ways for solving the issue.
Natural remedies for lighter lips
Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids that will keep your lips hydrated, and looking healthy. And when your lips are hydrated and replenished, it is only natural that they look soft and pink.
- Use coconut oil as a lip balm during the day. Apply just a tiny amount, and spread it out using your fingertips
- Apply the oil before going to bed as well
- Reapply coconut oil through the day
Lemon can be used in a variety of ways to lighten dark lips. The tropical fruit is a natural bleaching agent. All citrus fruits act as a melanin inhibitor, but lemon is the best among them.
The simplest way to use lemon for bleaching is to cut a lemon in half, and gently rub the juicy part over your lips every night before going to bed. Just rinse the lips in the morning, and repeat the routine on a daily basis.
But here are some other alternative ways.
- Before going to bed, cut a lemon wedge and dip it in sugar, and then rub it on your lips. Rinse with lukewarm water in the morning. The addition of sugar provides exfoliating for your lips
- Lime is a type of lemon, and for this remedy, you need to mix 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of fresh lime juice, and 1 teaspoon of glycerin. Apply the mixture gently to the lips before going to bed, and then rinse in the morning
- Another way to do exfoliating is with honey. Mix 1 part of lemon juice and 1 part of honey to prepare a lip serum. Coat your lips with the serum, leave it to stay for one hour, and then wipe off with a soft and wet cloth. Repeat a few times per day
Almond oil has emollient properties. They help you smoothen and rejuvenate your skin. And its sclerosant properties help you lighten the lips. Sclerotherapy is a procedure used to treat blood vessels and vascular malformations, and you can do it with almond oil naturally.
- Put a drop or two of almond oil on your fingertips. Massage your lips for one minute
- Leave the oil overnight. Do not rinse in the morning. Repeat every night until you have results
Turmeric is a spice that can also act as a melanin inhibitor. All you need is just a pinch of the spice.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of milk and enough turmeric powder to prepare a thick paste
- Apply by rubbing on your lips. Leave it to stay for five minutes, and then gently rinse it off
Glycerin helps prevent and treat dryness on your lips. Dryness can cause pigmented lips. In the same time, glycerin helps prevent sun damage. It will help you retain moisture of your lips and get rid of dark lips.
- Apply glycerin on your lips using a cotton swab before going to bed
- Repeat every night until you have results. Do not rinse in the morning
Pomegranate is also a citrus fruit. And we said already that they have bleaching properties. Pomegranate can help you lighten skin hyperpigmentation.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of pomegranate seeds, 1 tablespoon of fresh dairy cream, and 1 teaspoon of rose water
- Apply the paste with a gentle massage into your lips. Massage for 3 minutes, and then rinse it with cool water
Aloe vera is one of the best things you can apply on your skin. In terms of how to lighten lips (how to get rid of dark lips), aloe vera helps thanks to a flavonoid called aloesin. This flavonoid can inhibit the pigmentation process, and cause lightening.
In the same time, aloe vera will rejuvenate the skin on your lips and nourish your lips with healthy nutrients.
- Apply a thin layer of fresh aloe vera gel on your lips. Let it dry, and then rinse with lukewarm water
- Repeat once per day
There are many oils that help with lightening of the lips. Olive oil is probably the most common ingredient we have in our kitchens that helps.
- Before going to bed, massage few drops of olive oil onto your lips
- Repeat every day. Do not rinse in the morning
You will be surprised, but cucumber juice also helps with the lightening process of your lips.
- Cut half a cucumber, and put in the blender. Once blended, cool the juice in the fridge
- Dip a cotton ball and gently apply onto your lips
- Leave the juice for 30 minutes, and then rinse with cool water
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is also acidic in nature. It contains alpha hydroxy acids that can act as a natural lightening agent.
- Dilute 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in 1 teaspoon of water
- Dab a cotton swab into the solution, and then apply on your lips
- Wait 10 minutes, and then rinse with lukewarm water
Baking soda helps exfoliate the lips and remove dead skin cells. This remedy helps only if the cause of dark lips is accumulated dead cells.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda and water to prepare a thick paste
- Apply on your lips and scrub in gentle circular motion. Scrub for two to three minutes, and then rinse
Strawberries are not only sweet for eating, but they can also help lighten your lips. Here is how to use them.
- Crush five strawberries, and mix them with 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- Apply the paste to your lips before going to bed, and rinse in the morning
Beetroot juice will naturally remove the tan from your lips and give them that pink color. The juice also helps you cleanse the sin.
- Slice beetroot and store in the fridge
- Scrub the beetroot on your lips for a couple of minutes
- Leave it to stay 10 more minutes, and then rinse
Just a simple toothbrush can help you exfoliate your lips. It is that simple. And your lips will be pinky again.
- Apply some petroleum jelly on your lips, and then scrub with a toothbrush with soft bristles
- Brush in a circular motion for five minutes
- Wash your lips with normal water, and then apply a light coat of petroleum jelly again