Summer is the time of the year we love to get our tan on. While some ladies are lucky enough to be born with a deep, bronzed skin tone, others have to spend time and money to achieve the perfect tan.
You are probably asking yourself, why try a DIY self-tanner in the era of sun and tanning beds? Well, let’s talk about the pros and cons.
Why use DIY self-tanner?
Nowadays, you can buy a tanning lotion in every drugstore, or order it via Amazon or some other online shop. And there are tanning beds in almost every city, even the smallest one. So, why try something else? Why not trust conventional methods.
Well, for starters, sun and tanning beds can cause irreversible damage to your sin. Sunless tanning products, on the other hand, carry a horrible smell with them. And more often than not, they contain toxic chemicals.
Not to mention, using over the counter tanning lotions and tanning beds can cost a lot of money. With a DIY self-tanner, you can get a tanning product at a fraction of the cost of store products. And most importantly, you know all of the ingredients you put inside.
Here are the benefits of using your own tanning product:
- You avoid the weird orange color that happens sometimes with over the counter products
- You can customize the exact color you want by tweaking the recipe
- DIY tanning products are less expensive
- DIY self-tanning products contain no harsh chemicals
With that in mind, here are a couple of recipes you can try to get your sun-kissed tan.
Cocoa Powder Tanning Lotion
This is probably the simplest and easiest to make self-tanner. You need only two ingredients, one of which is an unscented white lotion, which you can probably find anywhere. The second ingredient is 100% pure cocoa powder.
As long as it says 100% pure on the label, you can use any cocoa powder. As for the unscented lotion, we recommend using one that has moisturizing properties for even better benefits.
- Combine one cup of unscented white lotion in a bowl, and 1/3 cup of pure cocoa powder
- Get a fork to mix the ingredients together. Blend well, and make sure there are no clumps in the mixture
- You can adjust the recipe to get the color you want. Bear in mind, the lotion will appear darker in the bowl than on your skin. Add more cocoa powder if you want a darker shade
- Now that you have the mixture ready, store it in a container or an empty jar that once held lotion
- Exfoliate your body before applying the tanning lotion. Smooth the tanning lotion over the entire body. Make sure to apply it evenly
- Apply on a daily basis to get a gradual deep tan
Carrot Tanning Oil
Some people prefer tanning lotions, others go for tanning oils. Those who prefer oils say that there is even less of a chance of streaks. And more importantly, you need less oil to cover your entire body.
Oils are also quick and easy to spray, and then rub in. For this recipe, you will need a ¾ gallon of water, or 3 quarts, 1 pound of fresh carrots, and 2 cups of brown sugar. Here is how to make it.
- Rinse the carrots and then cut them into thin slices
- Pour the water in a bowl, and bring it to boil
- Add sliced carrots and brown sugar to the water. Reduce heat, and then simmer for three hours
- Turn off the heat after three hours, and then let the tanning oil cool down
- Pour the oil through a strainer to separate the clumps. Apply a little pressure as you strain the carrots to get the most out of them
- Pour the tanner into a spray bottle. Apply once per week to maintain your color. Just make sure there are no pieces of carrot in the tanning solution, as they can clog the spray bottle
Coffee Tanning Lotion
It is common knowledge that coffee can stain your teeth, which is an undesired effect. But you can also use coffee to stain your skin. In other words, coffee can give your skin a beautiful tan color.
Use a caffeinated type of coffee for this recipe. Bonus benefits, caffeine in coffee can make your skin tight and firm and diminish the appearance of cellulite and wrinkles.
- Brew coffee like you normally would. Use enough grounds for an entire pot. However, put water for just one cup
- Mix enough unscented white lotion and coffee to get the desired color. The more coffee you add, the darker the color will it be
- Put the mixture into a spray bottle. Shake well before each use
- Use the spray once per week or twice per week for best results
Black Tea Tanning Solution
Some people prefer coffee, and others go for tea. If tea is your preferred drink, here is how to make a self-tanner using it.
- Mix 16oz of filtered water and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract. Bring it to boil
- Pour the boiling liquid over 8 bags of black tea. Let it steep for 10 minutes
- Remove the tea bags, put them in the compost, and let the DIY tanner time to cool down. Usually, it takes 30 minutes
- Pour the tanning lotion into a spray bottle. Make sure to exfoliate the area you want to darken a few hours before applying tanning lotion
Instant One Day Tanning Solution
The good news about this tanning mixture is that it works. The bad news? It lasts for just a day.
So, if you need an instant sun-kissed look for a formal event in the evening or any other special event, just prepare this recipe.
You will need 3 tablespoons of organic copper henna powder, 6 tablespoons of coconut oil, and 6 tea bags.
- Start by bringing water to boil, and then pour the boiling water over the teabags and henna powder
- Leave it until cool. At this point, pour melted coconut oil into the bowl, and blend using a stick blender
- Apply the tanning liquid over your body using rubber gloves. Keep applying and massaging the oil in. Let the mixture stay for 10 to 15 minutes, and then scrub it off with hot water and a towel
- While it lasts for just one day, with continuous use, you can achieve a darker tone of your skin