Pimples are a normal skin condition. You cannot ignore them. And you cannot hope you will never get them. Of course, there are always ways to prevent pimples by making lifestyle changes. However, if you want to know how to get rid of pimples, it is all about finding the right remedy.
Pimples are nothing more than an inflammation of the skin. Due to the inflammation, the skin in which the sebaceous glands are located is infected with bacteria. As a result, they swell up, and fill with pus.
The excess sebum secretion is the main cause of pimples. They can appear on your face, but also on your neck, back, and shoulders.
Truth be told, pimples are not a critical or health damaging condition. However, they can definitely ruin your confidence and lower your self-esteem.
10 ways to get rid of pimples naturally
1. Apply some ice
Ice is a great remedy to use to instantly reduce the inflammation, redness, and swelling of the skin. You can use ice to improve blood circulation to the affected area, which will allow for nourishing of the skin and removing dirt and accumulated oil.
How to use ice? Follow these steps.
- Wrap ice in a piece of cloth. If you do not have ice, you can wrap some frozen vegetables
- Hold the cloth with ice on the affected area for few seconds
- Wait a minute or two, and then apply ice again. Do not leave ice on your face for more than few seconds
Lemon juice is one of the best sources of vitamin C, a crucial ingredient in acne treatment and prevention. You can use lemon to dry pimples fast. Always use fresh lemon juice, and not bottled juice.
Here are a few ways you can use lemon juice for how to get rid of pimples.
- Dip a cotton swab in fresh lemon juice and apply directly on the pimples. Do this before going to bed, and in the morning you’ll see the results
- Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Once you have paste, apply on the pimples, and let it stay overnight. In the morning, rinse with lukewarm water. If you have sensitive skin, avoid this treatment
Fun fact: the toothpaste you use in the morning and in the evening to wash your teeth, can also be used for pimples. The toothpaste treatment is most effective when used following the ice remedy.
The important note is that only white toothpaste works. You cannot use gel toothpaste. That being said, here is how the treatment works.
- Apply white toothpaste over the affected area before going to bed
- In the morning, wash your face with lukewarm water
- You can also use the treatment during the day, but make sure the toothpaste is on the pimples for at least 20 minutes
Steaming is one of the best things you can do for your skin. You can do it any time, and when you are battling pimples, steaming is as natural remedy as they come.
Steam opens up your pores and allows your skin to breathe. By doing that, steam helps you get rid of oils, dirt, and bacteria causing the infection and inflammation leading to pimples.
- For a steam treatment, all you need is a large container filled with warm water
- Allow the steam to come in contact your face for a few minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water afterward, and apply some moisturizer
With antiviral, antiseptic, and antimicrobial properties, garlic is a perfect remedy for pimples. In addition, garlic contains sulfur that promotes quick healing of the skin and pimples.
- Cut a fresh garlic clove into two pieces
- Rub the garlic on the affected area, and then let the skin soak the juice for five minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water, and repeat two times per day
6. Baking Soda
The cheapest and simplest way for how to get rid of pimples is to use some baking soda. It is an ingredient all of us have in their kitchen. And truth be told, it is quite effective in removing excess oil.
- Combine one teaspoon of baking soda and some water. For a more potent solution, use lemon juice
- Wash your skin, and leave it slightly damp. Apply the paste on your face, and allow it to dry for few minutes
- Wash with lukewarm water, and be careful not to leave baking soda for too long
Similar as garlic, honey has antibacterial, antimicrobial, and other properties that make it a natural antibiotic. Honey can speed up the healing process, prevent infections, and reduce inflammation.
All of those are useful in a pimples treatment.
- Dip a clean cotton swab in honey, and then apply it directly on the affected area
- Let it stay for 30 minutes, and then wash your skin with lukewarm water
We’ve all seen movies, and we’ve all seen how ladies go to the spa and put cucumber slices on their eyes. It is a well-known treatment for moisture, hydration, and healing of the skin. Rich in vitamins and minerals, cucumber can help in a number of ways.
- Cut the cucumber in slices, and then soak it in water for 30 minutes. Strain the water, and then use it to wash your face
- Alternatively, you can make a face mask by grinding one cucumber and applying it on the face. Allow it to dry for 15 minutes, and then rinse to clean dirt and bacteria from your pores
9. Tea tree oil
This is one of the most popular spot treatments for pimples. The only thing to pay attention is that tea tree oil can only be used on spots, not on the entire face.
- Put some tea tree oil on a cotton swab
- Apply directly on your pimple two times per day
Papaya is a fruit rich in so many vitamins and minerals that help you for how to get rid of pimples. Antioxidants, vitamin A,
- Crush raw papaya pieces, and extract its juice
- Apply over the pimples, and let it stay there for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse it off
Lifestyle changes to make
In addition to the home remedies for getting rid of acne, you can also employ some lifestyle changes. After all, it is better to prevent pimples than try to get rid of them.
Here are some habits that can contribute to pimples-free face skin.
- Get enough sleep, meaning between 6 and 8 hours to allow your body to rejuvenate
- Getting enough sleep will also help with stress management, as stress is one of the biggest causes of acne
- Change your diet by eliminating sugar, and including more omega-3 foods to nourish your skin
- Drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin and provide the right moisture and balance
- Get your daily exercise to reduce skin irritations
- Cleanse and exfoliate once per week