Do you have thin eyelashes? Do you want to make them thicker? Well, the good news is you are not the only one.
Every woman will tell you, thick eyelashes make your eyes look even more beautiful and attractive. This is the reason why mascara companies are making fortunes.
But not everyone can have thick eyelashes. Let’s be fair, factors like age, genetics, nutritional deficiency, and certain medical conditions can make your eyelashes thin.
And this is not factoring hormonal changes, something that is common in women due to their monthly cycle. On top of that, your lifestyle habits, like going to bed without removing makeup, or rubbing your eyes roughly can cause the delicate hairs of the eyelashes to fall out.
With that in mind, today, we will look at several of the best home remedies for growing out your eyelashes. Before we start, we must stress that each remedy will have different results in different individuals.
Some might find success with castor oil, while others will find with coconut oil. There is not one universal remedy.
That is why we will provide several options, and you can test and see which one works for you. Give it a month or two to see initial results.
Castor oil has powerful follicle-stimulating and nourishing properties. Treatment with castor oil will help you get that elusive lustrous and voluminous lashes you always wanted.
Here is how to use castor oil for eyelashes growth.
- Get a clean brush or a cotton swab, and apply castor oil on your lashes. Do this before going to bed
- If you want more potent results, add few drops of vitamin E oil to castor oil, and apply then
- Let the solution stay overnight, and rinse with lukewarm water in the morning
Another option is to mix 2 tablespoons of castor oil and fresh aloe vera gel, and then apply on your eyelashes. Same as before, leave it overnight and rinse in the morning.
Olive oil is a well-known natural remedy. There are a number of benefits of using olive oil, including growing eyelashes, but also growing a thicker hair.
Rich in vitamin E and oleic acid, olive oil will nourish your eyelashes, and also provide some volume.
- Start by using a clean old mascara stick or cotton swab, and dip them in warm olive oil
- Apply the oil on your lashes before going to bed. It is the same as applying mascara
- Let the oil stay overnight, and in the morning, rinse with lukewarm water
- Repeat daily for a month or two, and see if there are any results
Some would say using coconut oil, but the milk is better suited for eyelashes. Rich in protein and essential fats, any coconut product will help you grow eyelashes.
Coconut will nourish your lashes, resulting in thicker and longer lashes.
- Start by dipping a cotton swab in cold coconut milk. Apply to your lashes
- Let it stay on your eyelashes for 10 minutes, and then rinse
- Repeat the treatment two times per day for few minutes. If there are no results, switch the treatment
Brush your lashes
This is a treatment you can try with different ingredients. Some people swear by petroleum jelly, while others use vitamin E oil.
Whatever the case, brushing your lashes will help them grow and help you get rid of dust and dirt in the process.
- Choose your desired product, vitamin E or petroleum jelly, and then put it on a soft-bristled eyelash brush
- Apply the solution on your eyelashes
- Brush gently using upward strokes for 5 minutes. Start from the root of the lashes, and then slowly move upward
- Continue brushing two times per day until you see desired results
Another way is to try an eyelid massage. This massage will promote growth due to improved blood flow and circulation to hair follicles.
Same as with the brushing, you can use vitamin E oil or petroleum jelly. You can also try shea butter.
- Wash your hands thoroughly, as you will use them for the massage
- Start by putting jelly, oil, or butter on your eyelids
- Use your fingertips to massage the solution along with your lids and lash in small and circular motions
- Massage for 5 minutes, two times per day for at least one month to see results.
Lemon peels are great for adding volume to your eyelashes. Rich in vitamin C and vitamin B, lemon peels provide your eyelashes with all the essential nutrients they need.
You can make the solution more potent by infusing the peels with olive or castor oil.
- Put 1 tablespoon of dried lemon peels in a container
- Pour oil into the container, and let the peels soak the oil
- After a couple of weeks, you can start using lemon peels
- Use an old mascara stick to apply the oil on your eyelashes before going to bed
- Leave the solution overnight, and in the morning, rinse with lukewarm water
Rich in protein, eggs can be used in two ways for eyelashes. The first one is to consume more eggs so that you improve protein consumption in your diet. But you can also try a topical treatment.
- Beat 1 egg, and then mix with 1 tablespoon of glycerin
- Once you get creamy and thick texture, dip a cotton swab into the mixture
- Apply on your eyelashes, let it stay for 15 minutes, and then rinse with cold water
- You can follow the treatment 3 times per week for a few months period
Known for its skin enhancing properties, aloe vera finds its usage in the world of makeup as well. Aloe vera is rich in minerals and vitamins that nourish your eyelashes.
- Use a clean and old mascara wand to apply fresh aloe vera gel on your lashes. Do this before going to bed
- Let the solution stay overnight, and in the morning rinse with lukewarm water
If you want a more potent solution, mix 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel, 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil, and 1 teaspoon of chamomile infusion.
Apply to the lashes two times per day using a clean and old mascara wand. Wait 15 minutes, and then rinse with warm water.
Getting fuller, longer lashes takes an understanding of the biology behind the growth process. We don’t all have that to hand, so it can be useful to use a lash serum that’s been developed by experts. The best of these formulas combine scientific knowledge with natural ingredients to nourish the lashes to give them strength, and over time build up a more voluminous appearance.
Use the applicator brush to swipe the formula onto your lashes.
Repeat the process once every night.
The results should be evident in 4 weeks, but can take up to 8 weeks to be fully effective.
Tips for long and thick lashes
- Follow a healthy and balanced diet, including fresh fruits (apples, mango, avocado, grapefruit) and vegetables (spinach, cabbage, kale, and broccoli)
- Consume protein-rich foods like legumes, nuts, beans, and seeds
- Never go to sleep with eye makeup on
- Use a makeup remover to give your lashes a chance to breathe and grow
- Avoid pulling on your lashes when removing or applying makeup
- Avoid using fake eyelashes that can damage your natural when used regularly
- Do not use eyelash curlers