Using a toner is one of the more important steps for a good skincare routine and regimen. And while many people underestimate the benefits of a toner, others swear by it.
A toner will help you cleanse and moisturize your face, but also shrink pore and balance the pH of your skin. More importantly, a toner helps you add another layer of protection against impurities. With that in mind, how to use a toner?
There is something we should all know. Adding a toner to your daily routine is not simple. Many people do not use a face toner correctly. The most important thing is to apply it between cleansing and moisturizing.
Always use a cotton pad to gently spread the toner over your face and neck. When you go for purchasing a toner, always look for gentle and natural ingredients that will not dry your face.
What is a toner?
Toners are among life’s greatest mysteries. That shouldn’t be the case. What is a toner?
A toner is a product that has the main function of providing complete cleanse for your skin. It helps you remove dust, pollution, and impurities that can harm your skin’s look and health.
Most toners are water-based liquids composed of active ingredients like plant extracts and essential oils. They are tailored to address a variety of skin types. You can find four common types of toners. There is no difference between facial toner and skin toner, it is the same thing. Some people just call it facial toner, a product you can use on your face.
Those are hydrating toners, calming toners, soothing toners, and astringent toners. A good and quality toner usually contains rose water that helps for hydrating and energizing your skin, or chamomile that provides calming and soothing effect. The best toners contain both of them.
Depending on what you need for your face, there are different facial toners. For example, the best toner with hyaluronic acid will moisturize your dry skin. On the other hand, if you get a toner with salicylic acid as active ingredient, it is a product designed to fight acne and remove dead skin cells.
How to properly use a toner?
Every time you apply makeup on your face, there are two ways you can do it. The first one is the right and proper way, and the second is the wrong way.
Here is a step by step guide on how to use toner properly.
- Start by washing your face using a cleanser and warm water. Gently massage the cleanser into your skin to remove makeup, impurities, and dirt. Rinse with warm water, and then splash some cold water on your face. Pat your face dry with a clean towel
- Put the toner on a cotton pad. Once it feels damp, but not overly soaked, you can use it. You can also use a cotton ball, but you should know that cotton pads soak up less of the product. That will help you conserve your toner.
- Now that you’ve put toner, it is time to spread it over the face and neck. Use your cotton pad to gently wipe the product over the face, but also on the neck and décolletage. Make sure to avoid the eye area and be careful not to put any product on your lips. Your toner will remove impurities that the cleanser couldn’t reach, like brows, sides of the nose, near the ears, and more.
- Spritz a second toner product for extra moisture. Always use a wiping toner first because a spray application can only dilute impurities, but it doesn’t remove them. The second toner is optional, and it is handy if you like the refreshing feeling of the misted toner.
- Wait for one minute for the toner to dry. This applies for both the first or the second toner.M ost toners are water-based, so they need a minute or two to get absorbed by the skin. Once the toner sinks in, you can apply other products.
- Finish up with a moisturizer or any other treatment products. For example, you can apply acne treating products that sink more deeply into the skin. You can apply toner two times per day.
Do you use toner or moisturizer first?
Toners are usually recommended by a dermatologist as part of the beauty and skincare routine. As part of your face washing routine, toners can remove any excess dirt or any other impurity. But few people use it, and even fewer know how to use toner. A lot of people ask whether they should use a moisturizer or a toner first.
First thing firsts, toners can be used two times per day, once in the morning, and once in the evening. A lot of skin care experts describe toners as the “appetizer and not the main course”.
That is the best description. During the day, you can use toners to remove dead skin cells before applying moisturizer or any sunscreen.
The process goes toner, then moisturizer, then sunscreen. In the night, a toner will help you cleanse your face, and then follow up with a hydrating product.
You also have to pay attention to your skin type when selecting the best toner for your skin care routine. Do you have combination skin, oily skin, or dry skin? Every type needs different toner with specific essential elements for that skin concern.
Why use a toner?
There a number of benefits of using a toner. Here are some of the most important ones that should make the toner a staple in your daily skincare routine.
- Toners are the most gentle way to exfoliate your skin
- Toners can be used on skin types, and those with oily and acne prone skin reap the most benefits
- Toners help you restore the pH balance of your skins
- You can fight off inflammation of the skin by using toners with ingredients like vitamin B5 and cucumber
Can you make your own toner?
You can actually go the DIY way if you want more natural toner. A green tea toner works for all skin types.
To prepare this skincare product, you will need one cup of green tea, and half a teaspoon of honey.
Mix the ingredients well, and after the mixture has cooled, add three drops of jasmine essential oil. Pour it into an airtight bottle. And that is your very own DIY toner. Make sure to store the toner in a cool place.
If you have normal or oily skin type, you can try a different option. Yes, a green tea toner will work for all skin types. But for oily skin, you can try apple cider vinegar mix.
Start by mixing one tablespoon of ACV and juice from one squeezed lemon. Add 200ml of mineral water, and pour into an airtight container. Store in a cool place. The downside is that you can use this toner only at night because lemon is photosensitive.
What are the best toners?
For those of you purchasing a skincare product from the store and looking at how to use it, there are two things to know.
First, a chamomile based toner will help you soothe the skin. This toner is best suited for those struggling with dryness, redness, or sensitive skin. Chamomile will help you calm down skin irritation, fight off acne, brighten your skin complexion, and more.
If you suffer from a condition like eczema, go a step further, and look for a toner that has ingredients like chamomile and aloe vera.
If you need extra hydration, look for a toner that has some rose water in its ingredient list. Rose water helps with hydration but also has clarifying and invigorating properties. This toner will work great for those needing some extra moisture and oil control.