We all know mayo is a great addition to your sandwich. It is one of the more reliable kitchen ingredients. Most of us use it on a daily basis. But do you know that mayo can also be good for giving your hair shine? Yes, the mayo in hair trend is here, and it seems like it will stay for a while.
Believe it or not, washing your hair with mayo might be just what your strands need at the moment. The logic is that mayo contains some protein (thanks to the eggs), and that will give shine to your hair, and help you strengthen your hair strands.
Now, we know not all of you are into experimenting with your hair and beauty treatments. But, if you are willing to give it a go, you might find that mayo in hair is legit, and it works.
Benefits of Mayo in Hair
This is a question many people ask. Why would I put mayo in my hair? Well, it is all because of the benefits mayonnaise brings to your precious hair.
Here are some benefits of the popular kitchen ingredient for hair.
- Mayo contains egg yolks, vinegar, and oils, all of which help nourish your hair and promote hair growth. One of the key ingredients for hair growth, L-cysteine, is also present in mayo
- You can also use mayo treatment to deal with lice. Just cover your scalp with a large amount of mayo, and you can suffocate any lice, be it adult, or larvae
- We mentioned that mayo contains some protein thanks to eggs, meaning it will strengthen your hair
- Mayo can also be used to improve the straightness of your hair. Now, do not think mayo will straighten your curly hair. But use it on a regular basis, and you will find your frizzy hair will be smooth and appear straight
- One of the biggest reasons to use mayo in hair treatment is because of conditioning. Rich in amino acids and nourishing oils, mayo is a great conditioner for your hair
- Colored and processed hair can benefit from using mayo. Because of the protein, mayo helps smooth the cuticles and repair damaged hair
- Last, but not least, mayo can be used to treat dandruff. Because of the vinegar content, mayo can balance the pH value of your hair and prevent excess oil production
How to use mayo in hair?
Using mayonnaise as a hair treatment is easy, simple, and quick. Anyone can do it. However, there are some things to keep in mind, and that is quantity and processing time.
Basically, you need 1 cup of mayonnaise, and nothing more. You can apply mayo in hair once per week, or use it as a hair mask without rinsing your hair.
Here is how to use mayo as a hair treatment.
- Start by dampening your hair
- Now that your hair is damp, evenly coat your hair and scalp with mayonnaise. Usually, it takes one cup of mayo, but if you have longer hair, you might need to use more. Same with short hair, you need less
- Massage the hair outwards from the roots to the end for a few minutes
- Now, pull your hair into a hair bun at the back of the head. You can also wrap your hair with a hot towel
- Allow for mayo do work its magic for 20 minutes, and then thoroughly wash your hair
- Finish off with a gentle moisturizing shampoo that will cleanse your hair
Mayo Hair Masks to Try
We mentioned that you can take things to the next level by using mayo as a hair mask. While the simple mayo treatment will be enough for most people, if you want extra nourishing and conditioning, use mayo as an ingredient in hair masks.
Here are five masks you can try.
Mayo and honey
You can apply this mask once per week for a several months period. Honey is one of the most popular natural moisturizers. Use this mask to make your hair soft and manageable.
In the same time, mayo and honey mask will unclog your pores, remove product buildup, and allow your hair to grow naturally.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of honey, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and half a cup of mayonnaise in a bowl
- Once you have a smooth mixture, apply it to your hair. Start from the roots, and then work your way to the tips
- Leave the hair mask to work its magic for 30 to 45 minutes. Wrap your head in a hot towel if you want to maximize the benefits
- Wash the mas with a mild and sulfate-free shampoo
Mayo and avocado
We mentioned that mayo contains some fat and oils. But if you want healthy, or good fats for hair nourishment, nothing beats avocado. Rich in fatty acids and antioxidants, avocado will help you maintain scalp health, but also provide nourishment for your hair.
Same as most mayo hair masks, you can use apply mayo and avocado once per week. Anything more will do more harm than good.
- Mash half a ripe avocado in a bowl. Once the avocado is free of lumps, add one cup of mayo
- Mix until you have a smooth paste, and then apply to your hair. Go from the roots, and then work your way towards the tips
- Seal your hair with a hot and damp towel. Leave the mas for 20 minutes
- Wash off with mild and sulfate-free shampoo. Make sure there is no residue left behind
Mayo and olive oil
If you have extremely dry hair, olive oil is your solution. Combined with mayonnaise, olive oil can treat damage, dryness, and moisturize your hair. And the best part is, it will not weigh your hair down.
- For this remedy, mix half a cup of olive oil and mayonnaise
- Combine the two ingredients in a bowl to get a smooth and oily mixture
- Cover your hair, and then wrap the hair in a hot towel. Leave it to stay for 30 minutes
- Rinse with a sulfate-free shampoo. Repeat once per week
Coconut oil and mayonnaise
Speaking of moisturizing, another oil you can combine with mayo is coconut oil. As one of the most penetrative oils, coconut oil can allow the mask to penetrate deep into your hair shafts and moisturize from within. Apply it once per week to make your hair lustrous and battle dryness.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, and 4 tablespoons of mayo
- Mix until you have a smooth mixture, and then apply on your hair. Wrap your head in a hot towel
- Leave the mask to work its magic for 30 minutes
- Rinse with a sulfate-free shampoo
Mayo and banana
If you have dull and damaged hair, go for a banana. They work best to soften your hair, improve your hair’s elasticity, and nourish from within.
- Mash two ripe bananas in a bowl until you get a mixture free of lumps
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil, and 2 tablespoons of mayo to the banana mixture. Mix until you get a smooth paste
- Apply to your head, and then wrap in a hot towel. Leave it to stay for 45 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly with a mild shampoo