Onion is one of the healthiest vegetables on the market. We all know of the benefits of onion, as this vegetable is loaded with antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, can control blood sugar, boost bone density, and boost digestive health. But did you know you can use onion juice for hair growth?
Now, for some people, putting onion juice on your hair can be disgusting. But do not worry, there are a number of onion hair masks that basically hide the odor of onions. With that in mind, read on how you can use onion juice for hair.
Benefits of onion juice for hair
Once you consider that onion has some weird odor, you might ask yourself, why use onion juice for hair? Well, the benefits are just too good to ignore. Onion juice is mainly used for hair growth. But you can use it for a number of other treatments.
The juice of onion can restore the luster of your hair, restore shine, prevent premature graying, treat dandruff, and much more.
Here are some of the benefits of onion juice:
- Improve hair growth by boosting the level of antioxidants and decompose hydrogen peroxide and optimize hair growth cycle
- Nourish hair follicles with sulfur, essential compound for the regeneration of the hair follicles
- Minimize hair thinning and hair breakage
- Provide antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antifungal properties to your hair
- Prevent premature graying of your hair thanks to the high antioxidant content
- Antibacterial properties keep your scalp healthy and free of infections
- Control dandruff by eliminating infections and irritations from the scalp
All that said, you can use onion juice for alopecia treatment, itchy scalp, inflamed scalp, dry scalp, dandruff, hair loss, hair thinning, dry hair, brittle hair, premature graying hair, or any scalp infection.
What the science says
When we say that onion juice is beneficial for your hair, we are not saying just because. In fact, there are a number of studies that show onion juice can help with your hair health.
As mentioned previously, onions are rich in dietary sulfur, a nutritional element our bodies need. Think of this for a second, proteins, mainly keratin, are needed for strong hair. And keratin is protein-rich.
When added to the scalp and hair, onion juice provides a boost of sulfur that supports strong and thick hair growth. In the same time, onion juice prevents hair loss and hair thinning.
In 2002, a study tried to show how onion juice helps with hair growth. Now, that is an old study, but the results were obvious. The group that washed its hair with onion juice experience more hair growth.
Onion juice hair masks
Simple onion juice mask
This is the most common onion juice mask for hair growth. And you do not need anything else than onion juice. We said before that the juice nourishes your scalp and stimulates the growth of hair.
In the same time, onion juice boosts blood circulation, a crucial element for healthy hair growth.
- You will need one tablespoon of onion juice. Use cotton pads to apply the juice on your scalp
- Massage for a couple of minutes, and then leave the juice for 15 to 60 minutes on your scalp
- Wash with a mild shampoo. Repeat every other day
Coconut oil and onion juice
Being that some people can experience itching as a side effect, we recommend using onion juice in combination with coconut oil.
The oil helps soothe irritation and itching and boosts the hair growth properties of the onion juice mixture.
- Mix two tablespoons of onion juice, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, and 5 drops of tea tree oil. The last one applies only to those with dandruff issues. If not, you can avoid tea tree oil
- Apply the solution onto the scalp and massage for a few minutes. After covering your scalp, leave it to stay for 30 minutes
- Wash with a mild shampoo. Practice the treatment on alternate days
Onion juice and olive oil
If you have dandruff, you can try this onion juice hair mask. Olive oil is perfect for fighting dandruff, and also helps with other scalp and hair issues. Bonus, olive oil has moisturizing properties, leaving your hair with a silky shine.
- Mix three tablespoons of onion juice and one and a half tablespoon of olive oil
- Apply the mixture onto the scalp. Gently massage it using circular movements for a few minutes
- Leave the mixture to work its magic for 2 hours
- Wash with a mild shampoo. Repeat every other day
Eggs and onion juice
We talked at the beginning of how your hair needs protein for healthy hair growth. Eggs provide a healthy dose of protein. In the same time, eggs provide other vitamins and minerals that nourish your hair from within.
- Start by whisking one whole egg. Then, add a tablespoon of onion juice, and two drops of lavender essential oil
- Once you have a smooth mixture, apply onto the scalp, and then work it down through the length of your hair
- Put a shower cap on your hair, and leave the mask for 30 minutes on your hair
- Rinse with cool water first, and then with a sulfate-free shampoo. Do not rinse with warm water
- Repeat two times per week for maximum benefits
Lemon and onion juice
Lemons provide a healthy dose of vitamin C for your hair. This vitamin is crucial in the production of collagen but also helps strengthen your hair follicles. Vitamin C can also prevent infections of the scalp, including dandruff.
- Mix one tablespoon of each onion and lemon juice in a bowl
- Apply the smooth mixture onto the scalp. Massage the scalp in circular motions for a few minutes, and then leave it for one hour
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo. Repeat two to three times per week
Honey and onion juice
If your hair lacks moisture, honey is one of the best things you can apply. As an emollient, honey will bind moisture to the hair and skin.
Combine it with onion juice, and you have a potent solution for hair growth. And at the same time, your hair remains hydrated.
- Mix two tablespoons of onion juice and half a tablespoon of honey
- Gently massage the mixture onto your scalp using a circular motion
- Leave the mixture for 30 minutes on your hair
- Wash with a mild shampoo. Repeat the treatment two times per week
Precautions and possible side effects
In most cases, using onion juice on your hair is safe. However, if you have an allergy to onions, you should try something different.
It is also worth noting that onions can be quite caustic to the skin. Some of the side effects include redness and itching, depending on the potency of your remedy. You can prevent this by mixing onion juice with coconut oil and aloe vera.
Most hair care experts recommend avoiding using onion juice as a cure for hair loss issues like alopecia. Aspirin and similar medications can increase your sensitivity to onion juice on the skin.