Almond oil has many potential health benefits. It is one of the more popular carrier oils in the past few years.
Almond oil comes from pressing the seeds of the almond tree and extracting oil from what comes out. We all know almonds are valued in ancient cultures for their healing properties.
Almonds deliver a high amount of protein, omega fatty acids, and vitamin E. All of these nutrients are beneficial for your hair and skin.
Today, we will discuss all of those benefits, uses, and how to improve your hair using almond oil.
Benefits of almond oil for hair
We mentioned that almond oil brings many benefits for your hair. What are those exactly?
Let’s break it down.
Soften your hair
Almond oil is an emollient. For those of you that do not know what does that mean, almond oil can fill in gaps in your hair at a cellular level.
Doing that will make your hair feel softer and smoother to the touch. Almond oil will give your hair softer texture when used on a regular basis.
If you use the oil constantly, you will notice your hair is easier to comb, but also easier to style.
Strengthen and repair hair
We mentioned almond oil is a great source of protein and omega fatty acids. Well, those two ingredients are crucial for strengthening of your hair.
Regular usage of almond oil will make your hair less prone to breakage. It will also prevent and solve split ends. Because of its lubricating properties, the oil will also diminish friction during hair styling.
Improve hair growth
Nowadays, every woman is looking for ways to make her hair grow thicker, and faster. And almond oil can help in that process.
While there are no studies that show almond oil can make your hair grow faster, there are examples in real life. And logic dictates that.
Because almond oil makes your hair less prone to split ends and stronger, your hair growth will not be slowed down by losing damaged hair.
In the same time, almond oil provides vitamin E for your hair, a natural antioxidant that prevents environmental stress.
Treat scalp conditions
In Ancient Chinese medicine, as well as in Ayurveda medicine, almond is used to treat dry scalp conditions. And we have evidence of such treatments dating back centuries.
Rubbing just a small amount of almond oil on the scalp will increase blood flow to the area, and prevent irritation.
One of the most common scalp conditions is dandruff. Caused by irritation and inflammation, dandruff is a challenging problem.
No more, just rub a small amount of almond oil, and flaky scalp will be history.
How to use almond oil for hair?
You can simply apply almond oil directly to your hair, rub it, and then wash it. Almond oil is beneficial enough for your hair to work on its own.
However, we will talk about almond oil hair masks as well. But first, let’s see how you can use almond oil for hair.
- Before you apply almond oil, make sure to rinse your hair with warm water, and then use a comb to brush out any tangles
- Warm the almond oil between your palms, or put it in the microwave to heat it up. You want the oil to be warm to the touch, but not too hot. Warm oil penetrates hair strands better
- Rub the oil into your scalp, putting a small amount on the palms and then applying in the root area. Gently massage the oil at the front of your head, and then work your way back to the crown of your head. Massage at the nape, and work up towards the crown
- Get a wide-toothed comb, and use it to disperse the oil. Comb from the roots to the tips of the hair, and make sure all of your hair gets coated
- Cover your hair with a shower cap, and let the oil absorb into the scalp for 60 minutes. For those with dry hair, you can leave the oil overnight
- Shampoo your hair to wash the oil. Apply shampoo just once, and start at the front of the head and then work your way towards the crown
- Rinse thoroughly to make sure there is no almond oil left behind. If there is any oil residue, your hair will look greasy
Almond oil hair masks
Almond oil and lemon juice
Because of the vitamin C in lemon juice, the mask will boost collagen production and stimulate hair growth. In the same time, lemon juice acts as a cleanser for your hair.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of almond oil and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice in a bowl
- Section your hair, and then apply the mixture to the scalp and hair
- Massage the mixture for five minutes, and then leave it to work for 30 minutes
- Rinse with a mild shampoo. Repeat two to three times per week
Almond oil and yogurt
Yogurt is another ingredient you can use for an almond oil hair mask. Rich in protein, it will boost the strength of your hair, all while keeping it clean and conditioned.
This mask also works for reducing hair loss.
- Mix 1 cup of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of almond oil
- Apply to freshly washed hair
- Let the mask sit for 30 minutes
- Rinse with a mild shampoo. Repeat the treatment two times per week
Almond oil and eggs
Another protein-rich food, eggs help nourish your hair follicles, repair damage, add moisture to dry hair, and control frizz. All in all, it is a great all-around mask for your hair.
- Whisk one raw egg, and then add 4 tablespoons of almond oil to the mixture
- Wash your hair, and then apply the mixture
- Let the mask sit for 45 minutes before rinsing it out
- Repeat just once per week
Almond and olive oil
If you have dry hair, you need an even more potent mixture. Two oils combine to provide a ton of moisture to your hair. In the same time, this mask prevents hair fall.
- Mix one tablespoon of each oil
- Massage the mixture for five to ten minutes to your hair, going along the length of the hair to the tips
- Let the mixture stay for 30 minutes
- Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat the treatment two times per week
Almond oil, honey, and banana
For a complete nourishing mask, this is your go-to move. Honey and banana provide a ton of vitamins and minerals that will nourish your hair from the inside out.
Additionally, all of the ingredients have emollient properties, ensuring proper hydration of your hair.
- Mash one ripe banana, and then add 1 tablespoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of almond oil
- Mix until you have smooth paste, and then apply to freshly washed hair
- Let the mask stay on your hair for 45 minutes, and then wash off. Repeat once per week
Are there any side effects?
Unlike chemical products, almond oil is 100% natural and safe for your hair. However, there are certain situations when you should avoid almond oil.
That is, if you have a nut allergy. People allergic to nuts should not use almond oil for hair.
Also, never put pure almond oil on your hair before heat styling. The heat can increase the temperature of the oil, and it can burn your scalp.