One of the common ingredients in homemade facials masks is egg whites. They are great for treating acne, but also for other skin problems that can occur on your face.
Egg whites are cheap and effective, and they do not require any special skill. Eggs are rich in many vitamins and minerals that are beneficial for your skin.
Now, when it comes to using egg white for face problems, you have to remember, the best masks contain other ingredients as well.
With that in mind, let’s talk about how egg whites help your skin, and how you can use them for a homemade treatment.
- 1 How egg whites help
- 2 How to use egg white for face treatment?
- 3 Potential allergens in eggs?
How egg whites help
People hear it all the time. Egg whites are a good mask for a facelift. But how exactly do they help?
For starters, you have to understand the structure of your skin. Your skin contains elastin and collagen, two crucial ingredients that lose elasticity over time.
And the skin’s self-moisturizing ability reduces over time. It is all due to pollution, smoking, alcohol consumption, sun damage, weight loss, weight gain, poor diet, use of harsh chemicals, dehydration, and much more.
Your skin begins to sag. Eggs are rich in protein that can provide tightening of the skin. But that is just one aspect.
Here are all the ways eggs help with your skin problems.
- Egg whites can tighten and shrink large pores thanks to their astringent properties
- Egg whites can help you lift the skin, especially those sagging cheeks and crinkly skin around the eyes
- You can use egg whites to reduce oily skin
- Helps you get rid of blackheads
- Can draw out sebum and pull out the gunk stuck within your pores
- Loaded with essential minerals and vitamins that nourish your skin from within
- Contain albumin, a protein that can tighten the skin
How to use egg white for face treatment?
Egg whites are a humble kitchen ingredient that can do wonders for your skin. We already established that. But for soft and nourished skin, egg whites can do only so much.
While it is loaded with minerals and vitamins, you need a few more ingredients for a complete facial treatment.
Here are a couple of ways to use egg whites.
Lemon and egg whites for oily skin
Perfect for oily skin, this mask works as a natural bleaching agent thanks to the lemon in it. Lemon is also loaded in vitamin C, helping you prevent oxidative stress damage to your skin.
Here is how to make this mask.
- Mix one egg white and ½ a lemon. Whisk thoroughly until you get a smooth texture
- Apply a thin layer of the mask on your face. Let it dry on its own for 10 minutes
- Rinse with water, and pat your face dry. Apply the mask 2 or 3 times per week
Cornstarch and egg whites for normal skin
Working as a skin cleanser, cornstarch is another perfect ingredient for skin benefits. Cornstarch helps with irritation of the skin, including skin allergies.
- Mix 1 egg white and 2 teaspoons of corn starch
- Whisk the ingredients properly, and then apply on your clean face
- Leave the mask for 15 minutes, and then rinse with cold water. Pat dry with a clean towel and apply moisturizer afterward
Coconut oil for dry skin
Used in many natural beauty products, coconut oil is one of the most common ingredients for facial treatment. There is a good reason for that.
Coconut works as a moisturizer, locking moisture within, but also provides natural antifungal and antibacterial properties to your skin.
Coconut oil can penetrate deeper into your skin, and provide more benefits. And bonus points, it smells like cookies when applying on your skin.
- Crack one egg, and separate the white in a bowl
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Whisk thoroughly
- Apply the mask on your face and leave it to work its magic for 15 minutes
- Rinse with normal water, and pat your face dry. Repeat 2 times per week for a hydrated and toned skin
Simple egg white treatment for oily skin
We mentioned that lemon and eggs can do wonders for your oily skin, but sometimes, only an egg white is enough.
Thanks to its pore-minimizing and skin tightening properties, egg whites are great for people with oily skin.
- Wash your face gently with warm water, and then pat it dry
- Whisk an egg white, and then coat your face with a thin layer
- Let the mask dry up, and once it is dry, rinse with cold water
Yogurt and egg whites
A facial mask with yogurt will nourish your skin antioxidants. This can prevent free radicals from doing damage to your skin.
Yogurt also helps with wrinkles and fine lines, reducing the symptoms of aging.
- Mix one tablespoon of yogurt and an egg white
- Apply on your skin, and then wait for the mask to dry for 10 minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water. Repeat once per week
Honey and egg white
Honey can help draw moisture into the skin, keeping your skin hydrated. Known as one of the most commonly used ingredients for skin masks, honey brings a couple of benefits.
For starters, it is antibacterial, preventing and treating acne, it is full of antioxidants that can slow down aging, and it is soothing, giving your skin a healthy glow.
- Mix 1 egg white, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of glycerin, and some rice flour
- Apply the mask on your face, and leave it to dry for 15 minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water, and pat yourself dry
Potential allergens in eggs?
Some people are allergic to eggs. And naturally, they want to know whether allergens in the egg can cause problems on their skin, as egg allergy can manifest as redness when consuming eggs.
In most cases, allergies to egg whites are triggered by lysozyme, a component that corrects discoloration of the skin.
If you have never experienced allergic reaction eggs or egg whites before, chances are you will be safe when using egg white for a face mask.
Be careful, it is one thing to prepare a natural egg white mask at home, and it is another to buy a commercially prepared mask.
The later can also have other chemicals and ingredients that can be potentially damaging to your face.
An egg mask is a useful addition to your skin care routine for acne-prone skin. But if you are allergic to eggs, do not use the mask. And remember, an egg mask is just one part of the equation.
You need a complete acne treatment to make sure your face is acne-free.