The size and shape of baby hairs are determined by the genetics of your hair follicle. Some types of hairs are just programmed to grow thick and long.
Now, when it comes to baby hair, who loves to spend hours of styling and blow-drying your hair, only to step away and see frizzy baby hairs everywhere?
Raise your hand if you do. No? Nothing? We thought so. That is why today we will talk about how to get rid of baby hairs.
And while the reality is that you cannot do anything to stop them from growing out, you can tame and embrace them.
What are baby hairs?
Let’s start from the beginning. Before we go into the remedies for baby hairs, we need to understand and explain the problem.
Baby hairs are the natural curls of hairs on the top of your forehead. There is no definite cause for baby hairs. In most cases, genetics define the shape and size.
With that in mind, here are some factors that play a role:
- Genetics play a role in forming, designing, and molding of all parts of your body, and that includes baby hairs on your forehead
- Pulling out hair can often lead to baby hair
- Wearing head cap or hat can suppress baby hairs, but also make them lose their original shape and texture, and turn them wavy or curly
- Making tight ponytails is a recipe for inviting baby hair on the top of your forehead
Basically, there are two types of baby hairs. The first one is superman curl, which is something people named in appreciation of Superman, and frizzy baby hairs, which you definitely want to get rid of.
Why should you try and prevent baby hairs?
In addition to improving your self-esteem, confidence, and your looks, there are also health reasons why you need to prevent baby hair.
Here are some of those reasons:
- Baby hairs can trap moisture from the skin, and make you sweat more at the top of your forehead
- They can stick to facial and hair products, and cause irritation
- If you spend time under the sun, the skin of your forehead around the baby hairs will become extremely dry
Prevention is always better than a cure. After all, prevention takes care of the root of the problem.
Some of the preventive measures for baby hairs include avoiding wearing caps, start using combs with thicker teeth gap (which do not turn your hair frizzy), oil your baby hairs to make them wet, keeping your forehead clean, avoiding pulling your hair tight, and avoiding wearing your hair in a ponytail.
Now, let’s take a look at some of the ways for getting rid of baby hairs.
How to tame baby hair?
Here are a couple of ways you can tame baby hairs. Unlike hair on other parts of your body, baby hairs are not in a particular pattern.
- Apply warm coconut oil to provide moisture and get rid of frizzy baby hairs
- Apply a strong hold hairspray or hair gel using an old toothbrush to comb your hairs with it
- Give your baby hairs a mild massage with olive or almond oil, and then continue onto the rest of your head as well
- Mustard oil is another effective way to tame the frizzy and irritating baby hairs
- Wet your hands and run your fingers through the baby hairs, and then set it with the rest of your hair
- Use a hair dryer to blow air downwards and gently comb the hairs
Best way to tame your baby hairs
This is a three-step process that will make sure your baby hairs are at place. Start by watering them down. Your baby hairs need to be completely wet in order to style them as you wish.
Just reach for a mist bottle and spritz along your hairline. This will dampen the strands and allow you to style them.
Next, heat them up. Secure a hold with your index and middle finger, and begin the blow drying process. Pull the fine hairs approximately one or two inches from the scalp and dry them with heat.
Blast them with cool air for three seconds, and hot air for three seconds. Alternate between hot and cool.
Last, set the strands by grabbing a toothbrush and mist the bristles with a medium to firm hold hairspray. Gently brush over the baby hairs along the hairline. You can also use a tissue. Fold it, spray it, and slide across your hairline.
How to mask baby hairs?
In the past few years, we are seeing a new trend rise among celebrities. And this one is quite simple. Just embrace your baby hairs. We’ve seen celebrities like Rihanna do this.
What are some of the hairstyles that can mask your baby hair and incorporate into the style?
Well, truth be told, any messy hairstyle will do it. For example, you can go for messy locks loosely tied in a braid. Or you can tie your messy locks in a bun.
If you go for a braid, you will be able to twist and hide the stray baby hairs without using any hair products. Instead, the baby hairs will look as part of your style.
Another perfect style is a half-updo, which will make the hairs part of your look. Just tie up half of your hair by clipping or pinning the top section. This will overshadow any lingering hairs.
Can you remove baby hairs?
When we talk about how to get rid of baby hairs, we mostly talk about how to tame them and embrace the look. Sadly, you cannot permanently remove them. Of course, there are options for a solution that will work for a couple of days or weeks.
For example, shaving is the easiest and most common way to get rid of excess hair. You can use a razor and a shaving cream to remove baby hairs. But be careful and cautious while using razor close to your hairline. You might risk skin cuts and other injuries.
Using facial hair removal creams is a safer option. And it is widely considered one of the easiest ways to remove hair. Just be careful, if you have sensitive skin, you should not use it, as it might cause irritation.
Epilation is another hair removal method, and it involves options like threading, tweezing, or waxing your baby hairs.
That would be all your options for baby hairs. It is up to you to decide whether you want to tame them, embrace them, or remove them for a short period.