When it comes to hair growth, there are many expensive and chemical leached hair products.
Nothing new, the industry is always trying to make money on people’s problems.
But the good news is that you do not have to pay a fortune.
The reality is that some home remedies for hair growth work even better than cosmetic ones.
To understand how we can stimulate our hair growth, we need to understand the structure of the hair.
Our hair is made up of a protein called keratin.
The hair follicles produce this protein.
And as your hair follicles produce new hair cells, the old ones are being pushed out.
The hair you see is actually a string of dead keratin cells.
Do not sound the alarm if you see some strays of hair on your hairbrush.
Fun fact: the average adult has between 100,000 and 150,000 hair strands, and loses up to 100 every day.
Now, hair loss is mostly seen as a sign of aging.
But due to our hectic lifestyle, it has become a worry when people are losing hair in their 30s, or sometimes as early as their late 20s.
Work stress, bad nutrition, and many other factors are to blame.
With that in mind, let’s talk about what you can do.
Effective Home Remedies for Hair Growth
Here are a couple of home remedies for hair growth you should try as soon as possible.
They might not all work for you, as our hair is different and unique.
But chances are, half of them will work.
Onion juice is regarded as one of the oldest and most effective remedies for hair growth.
Onion contains sulfur, a chemical that can boost collagen production in our hair.
In the same time, this chemical helps in re-growth of the hair.
Now, the strong smell of onion might prevent you from using this remedy.
But do not worry, the smell of onions goes away just after one rinse.
- Cut a few slices of onion, and squeeze out the juice. You can do this by mashing the onions or grating them
- Apply the juice on your scalp, and leave it for 15 minutes. After that, rinse off with a mild shampoo
Coconut milk is rich in many essential minerals, including iron, potassium, and many essential fats.
That gives your hair nourishment it badly needs and deserves.
Just remember, this recipe requires fresh coconut milk.
That means you cannot purchase coconut milk. Instead, you need a fresh coconut and take the milk out of it.
Now, that might be expensive and time-wasting, and frankly, a hassle, but it is worth the try.
This hair mask is absolutely magic.
- Take the milk out of a fresh coconut, and add 4 drops of essential lavender oil, and juice from half a lemon
- Mix the solution, and then apply on your scalp. Leave it there for 5 hours, and then rinse off. If you like, you can leave it overnight, just put a shower cap on
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the cheapest solutions for hair growth you can find in your kitchen.
Thanks to its many powerful properties, vinegar will gently cleanse your scalp and maintain pH balance of your hair.
These are ideal conditions for your hair to grow.
- Mix 75ml of apple cider vinegar and 1l of water in a bottle
- Wash your hair with mild shampoo, and then rinse with the solution. You will notice your hair gets an added shine and boost
We mentioned that our hair follicles produce a protein called keratin, which is the main ingredient for hair growth.
Well, eggs are extremely rich in protein as well, and you can use them topically on your hair.
An egg mask is a home remedy used all over the world, so why don’t you try it?
Eggs are also rich in zinc, iron, selenium, iodine, phosphorus, and sulfur, all the minerals your hair needs.
- Separate the egg yolk from the egg white in a bowl. Use the egg white only
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and 1 teaspoon of honey. If you like, you can also add a drop of lavender or grapeseed oil
- Mix the paste, and then apply to your scalp. Gently massage your scalp for a minute, and then leave it for 20 minutes
- Rinse with cool water and mild shampoo
When you brew tea, you probably throw away the tea bags.
Well, no more.
Here is a handy way you can use the used tea bags.
Being that green tea is absolutely rich in antioxidants, this mask works wonders for your hair.
- Apply warm green tea from the used tea bags on your scalp
- Leave it to stay for one hour
- Wash off with cool water
This remedy helps you stimulate hair growth by massaging your scalp.
A nice homemade scalp massage is all your hair needs to increase blood flow to the scalp and enhance the strength of the roots.
This way, essential nutrients for hair growth get to your follicles faster.
- Add a couple of drops of rosemary essential oil to your shampoo. Alternatively, you can dilute rosemary oil in a carrier oil. Any way you choose, massage it directly to your scalp and then massage it in for 10 minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water
Lemons are easy to find in any grocery store.
They are extremely rich in vitamins, including C vitamin, and most of the B vitamins.
Lemons facilitate hair growth and strengthen the strands in the process.
Just be careful, do not use this mask excessively, as it can lighten your hair over time.
- Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Apply to your hair, and leave it for 45 minutes
- Rinse with a mild shampoo. Repeat once per week
Hot castor oil
Castor oil is one of the most underrated, yet most efficient remedies in the hair world.
Thanks to its antifungal and antibacterial properties, castor oil can battle almost any hair infection that prevents your hair from growing.
In the same time, it is rich in omega fatty acids, protein, and Vitamin E, all of which nourish your hair.
And it is the best hot oil treatment for massaging the roots.
- Massage hot castor oil into your scalp, and then apply all the way to the ends of your strands
- Pile your head on top of your head, and cover with a shower cap
- Blast your strands with a blow-dryer for no more than 15 minutes
- Shampoo your hair as usual afterward
This might be a bit rare remedy, but if you try hard, you’ll find it.
And it is one of the age-old remedies you see for hair growth problems.
Rich in proteins, fenugreek can help you grow long and healthy hair.
- Add a tablespoon of fenugreek and water in a grinder
- Form a paste, and then add some coconut milk. Apply to your hair and scalp
- Leave it for 30 minutes, and then wash off with a mild sulfate-free shampoo
SEE ALSO: Best Shampoo For Hair Growth