Some 10 to 15 years ago, turmeric was only a spice in India and other Asian countries. Nowadays, however, it is much more. Thanks to its wide adoption in the Western World, people are enjoying all of the benefits of the spicy spice. For example, aside from cooking, we can use the spice to make a turmeric face mask for glowing skin.
In the past few years, turmeric has become a staple in natural and home remedies. We use it to relieve medical issues, but also for our hair treatments and our skin treatments. The turmeric face mask is gaining popularity both as a mask that will solve some skin issues like acne, but also as a mask that will make your skin shine.
With that in mind, we will talk about the benefits of turmeric, and how to make your very own facial mask.
Benefits of turmeric
Most of the benefits of turmeric steam from the anti-inflammation properties. The spice is praised for its ability to reduce swelling and irritation. The calming effect of turmeric can help with a number of skin conditions.
With that in mind, here is a quick breakdown of all the benefits turmeric brings to your facial skin.
- Reduce inflammation thanks to the curcuminoids, compounds that are active ingredients in turmeric
- Provide antibacterial properties to your skin, and eliminate bacteria causing skin issues
- Thanks to the anti-inflammatory potential, turmeric can be used as an effective acne treatment, but also cysts, pustules, papules, and nodules
- Turmeric is loaded in antioxidants, all of which help you prevent oxidative stress on your skin and fight off free radicals. Simply put, turmeric is a great asset in the anti-aging battle
- The spice can also reduce hyperpigmentation on your skin
- When applied topically, turmeric can reduce skin irritation and irritation-alleviators
- We talked that turmeric can help with anti-aging, and one way it does that is by reducing wrinkles and fine lines
Are there any side effects and risks
The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health considers turmeric a safe product when used orally or topically.
However, you should know that all oral supplements pose the potential for gastrointestinal side effects, for example, upset stomach.
When used in skin care, so far, turmeric has not produced any known side effects. However, we always recommend doing a patch test before applying anything on your entire face. If you notice any redness, swelling, or itchiness develop after using a turmeric face mask, do not use it anymore.
Recipes for a DIY mask
Turmeric as an antioxidant face mask
The simplest mask you can make with turmeric just adds a bit of water. If you are looking to add more antioxidant power to your face, this is the mask you want to try.
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric with enough water to make a thick paste. If you like, you can add almond flour for a thicker paste
- Apply the mask on your face and leave it to stay for just 10 minutes
- Rinse with warm water, and apply a moisturizer afterward
We mentioned that turmeric can be an effective remedy for acne. But if you want to make the mask more potent, you need another ingredient that has the ability to reduce acne. And that is honey, as it also has potent antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric, a tablespoon of honey, and some warm water to get a thick paste
- Apply a thin layer of the mask on your face. Leave it to stay for 15 minutes, and then rinse with lukewarm water
For this mask, we will add some lemon, as it is a natural bleaching agent. Turmeric helps with pigmentation, but it is lemon and yogurt doing more of the heavy lifting.
- Mix half a teaspoon of turmeric, a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, and a tablespoon of yogurt
- Apply the mask on your entire face, and leave it to stay for 15 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water
Turmeric can reduce inflammation, and you want something that can eliminate dead skin cells and debris from your face. That is rose water and gram flour.
This exfoliating mask will absorb excess oil from the skin, and gently scrub and cleanse your pores. That will prevent blockage, acne, and other skin issues. The mask is perfect for people with oily skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder and 2 tablespoons of gram flour. After one minute of mixing, add rose water
- Now that you have a thick paste, apply on your face and leave it to stay for 10 to 15 minutes
- Rinse with cold water, and pat your face dry. Apply moisturizer if your skin is dry
The beauty of turmeric is that it works together with many other healthy ingredients for your skin. And if you have severe irritation on your skin, you need to call in the big guns.
And that is aloe vera, one of the most soothing agents you can put on your face. In the same time, aloe vera provides antimicrobial properties that will heal and clean your face.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder and 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel in a bowl
- Add water to make the paste thicker, and then apply on your face. Leave it to stay up to 20 minutes the most, and then rinse with water
Turmeric face mask for oily skin
If you have oily skin that is prone to acne and pimples, this mask will work wonders. You can do it with regular water, but also with rose water if you want better results.
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric powder and 2 tablespoons of natural clay. Add water to get a thick paste
- Apply on your face, and let it dry. Once it is dry, rinse with cool water and let your face dry on its own
Turmeric and coconut oil mask
Coconut is great for fighting off skin issues, but also adding moisture to your skin. People with dry skin will enjoy the benefits of this mask. And coconut oil will help you restore the natural oil balance of your skin.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder and enough coconut oil to make a thick and smooth paste
- Apply gently on your face using circular motions. Let it stay for 15 minutes, and then rinse with water. Repeat 2 to 3 times per week if you have severe acne problem
Turmeric and milk mask
Milk mask is another mask that will provide bleaching properties to lighten and brighten your skin. Additionally, milk is rich in vitamins and minerals like calcium that nourish your skin from within.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder and enough milk to get a smooth paste
- Apply on your face, and let the skin soak the mask for 15 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water
Will a turmeric face mask stain my face?
This is one of the most common questions people have. It is only logical, people are worried that the mask can leave stains behind that are hard to eliminate. But let’s be clear, a face mask with turmeric will not turn your face yellow or orange.
With that in mind, we also recommend you always apply a thin layer of the mask. The more you pile on, the higher are the chances of staining.